some chick pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by toredano, Apr 30, 2009.

1. toredano

toredano Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Grainger County,TN
    Got em yesterday. 4 hens and a rooster. Husband named the rooster Patty.I cant tell the 3 females apart yet. One is super clingy tho. I cna allready tell this will be my new hobby. They are just neat to sit and watch for hours. They talk to each other and just seem happy to be out in the gras instead of in a cramped dusty place..
    I think they are beautyful. Not the frilly ones i kinda wanted but they have allready grown on me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    they look like very sweet chickens.. I think thier little pen is cute!

3. toredano

Apr 26, 2009
    Grainger County,TN
    Thank you )

The pen is 8 feet ong and 4 feet wide. Enough space for 4 chickens for sure. I didnt want to build a huge one and then maybe decide I dont like the chicken farmer thing..lol.. But once they free range I will build a bigger one.I am wanting a Peacock at a later stage for sure..And the peacock needs way more room that this.
    Or do you think we went too small for 4 chickens?

4. ConnorMayasMom

ConnorMayasMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Old Chatham, NY
    Beautiful pics, I think chickens are so hard to photograph! Nice job!!![​IMG]

5. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Adorable birds! I hope you really enjoy them.

6. toredano

Apr 26, 2009
    Grainger County,TN
    thanks [​IMG]

I think they like posing. lol .. It helps when they are curious.
    What baffles me is this... I am german.. grew up there and all the chicken we ever seen where mean as all get out. These ones are so friendly. One in particular is allready jumping on my leg ,squats down and preens herself and the goes to sleep . She .. I dunno what to call it but .. cooes or purrs .. like.. really neat. I dont speak chicken so not sure.. maybe she is just content. I totaly forgot to ask their age when I got them. any guesses? they still eat the crumbles i got them. I think the brandname is "dunmore .. or domore? Anyway.. I didnt get any grit for them but i gathered some sand and some stuff from my driveway that is really fine. The guy I got them from said that was fine and they picked up little sand here and there .And I started them on some treats.. Bugs , worms and a grape and a noodle. They seem to like all of it. its a hoot as they run for cover trying to eat it while the others are chasing them.

Petra

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think they like posing. lol .. It helps when they are curious.
    What baffles me is this... I am german.. grew up there and all the chicken we ever seen where mean as all get out. These ones are so friendly. One in particular is allready jumping on my leg ,squats down and preens herself and the goes to sleep . She .. I dunno what to call it but .. cooes or purrs .. like.. really neat. I dont speak chicken so not sure.. maybe she is just content. I totaly forgot to ask their age when I g

Some breeds are just friendlier than others. Those look a bit like Buff Orpingtons to me, and that is usually a friendly breed, but I am far from an expert on this. I would guess they are in the range of 9-12 weeks, but that is also a very rough guess. Would help if there was a size comparison in the photos, like your hand.... I'm sure the cooing or purring sound is indeed contentment.

Dunmore or Dumore does not ring any bells for me, but I am only a year past being a newbie. Probably someone on here can figure that out.

It would help if you put a general location in your ID box -- just a state or country, nothing specific.

You could also try a new thread in the "what breed or gender is this?" forum.

8. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    They look just like my 5 month old Buff Orpingtons. Mine are super friendly as well...Always wanting me to hold them and anywhere we go in the yard..they are there with us.

9. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Buff Orpingtons [​IMG] I have a flock of 17 birds with 6 varieties and find the Buffs to be incredibly friendly. The 3 girls come running to the edge of the run when I come over. Their little heads jetting out in front of their rotund little bodies.

Your girls are beautiful and so healthy. My girls are 10-11 weeks and they look similar in size to my girls. Interesting, huh.

Have great fun with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by