1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

some chickens Fighting Back Owls

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Foxhound, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Foxhound

Foxhound New Egg

Mar 22, 2007
    I am at a very difficult situation. I have some chickens that like to nest in the pine tree above the coop. Owls love these chickens and it usually takes about a minute for an owl to get a chicken. Is there anything I can do to stop this Owl? These chickens freerange during the day and sleep in the tree during the night, they have a wild instinct in them so much so that we cant even grab them and we cant catch the chickens. I was considering greatly an Australian shepherd, we have to deal with coyotes, foxes and racoons too, plus the neibors small beagle. There has to be someway to stop owls because we dont want to get rid of our chickens, they are a mix of a few different breeds and have formed their own "breed" after so many years of breeding with each other. I hope an Aussie will help or something else?

2. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    A yard dog will help. You can check out www.niteguard.com, these are suposed to help against owls and such. The owls usually land at a high spot before attacking, you could find this spot and...deal with them in ways best left to your imagination....good luck, usually once they find an easy meal, it is hard to get them to stop returning.

3. wolfpack62001

wolfpack62001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    New Brockton, Alabama
    A Lawn Chair and beer and a Berretta and some time and you can fix this problem real quick.
    Hope this helps

4. prariechiken

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Might try to get you some o those crow decoys from your local hunting goods store, owls and crows don't mix. An owl decoy in your yard may also help since owls are territorial, it might discourage them from hanging around if they think they may be in another owls territory.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  5. Foxhound

Foxhound New Egg

Mar 22, 2007
    Do you think an Australian shepherd would help? Im afraid he might attack my chickens, even though they are bred to protect. I just want him to lay in our chicken yard and just watch for any predators, nothing more. I just want him to be there if any problems should arrive, such as a raccoon or an owl starts to mess around. Its only 2 acres he has to watch so does anyone think its a good idea to get an Aussie?

6. prariechiken

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Whatever type of dog you decide on, they will have to be raised from pups and trained to do what you want them to do. I have a catahoula that patrols the yard, (about 6 acres, w/74 more in pasture). She regularly rids the farm of rodents, possums, has tangled with coons and coyotes, among other varmits... But, my brother had a catahoula that would kill chickens, so just be careful and a good bet would be to check out the parents before hand to see what kinda yard dog your future pup will be...good luck.

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Foxhound......altho Aussies are GREAT dogs....they may want to "herd" the chickens too much, and stress them out. Anything you get, should be a pup, and start from day one....teaching them chickens are NOT dinner. Squirt bottles work, if they try to give chase, or snap at them. This might take a lot of training on your part....be patient. Maybe a Golden Retriever? They are very patient dogs. I have one that is 13 yrs old....he and I have raised 4 kids, and several other dogs. Oh, and trained my hubby....LOL
    Just a thought....goldens are good dogs.

8. Foxhound

Foxhound New Egg

Mar 22, 2007
    I guess I'll just have to teach him not to herd then. They are really smart so I believe I would be able to. I just want him to sit around all day and night and govern the chicken yard. Ok, maybe not sit but patrol and so on.

9. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Quote:It's illegal in most places to kill birds of prey... or even to trap one. Sometimes it's illegal to have their feathers in your possession. I DON'T recommend using a Beretta (or a Winchester, or a...).

What you may try is calling your local extension agent to see if there's someone who can legally relocate the owl. Sometimes there are agencies specializing in raptor relocation, too, depending on where you are. But don't, DON'T kill it if you can't get it to go elsewhere. That's bad Karma, not to mention illegal!

[​IMG]

10. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    I agree with Llysse, killing the owl would be the very last thing to do. Remember, once it's gone, that area is just opened up for another to move in and claim as his hunting grounds. Besides, owls do have beneficial qualities, such as rodent control.
    A dog might be a great solution, albeit, not an immediate solution. It does take much time and patience to train a dog, not to mention the time the pup needs to grow to even be able to handle any real threat to your chickens. And please, if you use a dog for this purpose, make sure he/she is properly vaccinated to protect him from anything the vermin he's to deal with may be carrying.
    Doesn't seem to be an easy answer for you on this one. Is there no way you can attempt to lure your birds in at night, maybe with treats? It shouldn't take long for them to learn that inside at night=treats.

Good luck..hope you find a way to protect your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by