Some chickens have stopped laying cold weather has come now what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maoriauctions, Apr 12, 2008.

1. maoriauctions

maoriauctions Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2007
    I introduced 4 new hens recently which were laying they have now stopped, my main hen hasnt layed since nov, i also have some chicks from around that time when would they start to lay. Our daylight savings has finshed so we are now coming into winter months.

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Could be getting ready to molt. . . .

3. maoriauctions

Nov 22, 2007
    Thanks for your reply, how long does a moult last and why do they do it

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have heard hens will stop laying for a bit when they move, so that could explain the new girls.

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Depends on how hard they moult and what feathers they lose. They do it to take off "the old coat" of feathers and put on brand new ones.

6. maoriauctions

Nov 22, 2007
    oh ok, i get it now thanks for that, hopfully they will start to lay soon, our eggs are really starting to get ultra expensive now

7. groovimum

groovimum Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2007
    I have the same problem I live in melton Vic and have 16 girls that are of laying age. Up to recently they were laying 10 eggs now on average I'm getting 3-6 eggs. They have begun the winter molt as there are feathers eveywhere. But that doesnt stop them eating. I still enjoy watching my chooks I hope they start laying more eggs soon.

8. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    some hens will stop laying due to stress.caused from being moved to a new home.that they arnt used to.an it may take them a month to start laying again.

9. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    When my chickens do their winter molt, they stop laying for a couple three months. They are 6 years old now. When they were younger they wouldn't stop laying for that long, just a couple weeks while they molted, but laid less often during winter. If it was a mild winter, they would start laying sooner. This winter was pretty cold so they didn't lay for about 3 months. My chickens are outside, they have a covered area, but not fully enclosed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by