1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Some Chickens Have Stopped Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NonaT, Oct 25, 2015.

1. NonaT

NonaT New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    I have 3 red sex link chickens and 3 black sex link chickens. I live in North Texas. Two of the black ones have not laid eggs in over two weeks. They are all about 8 months old. They seem fine otherwise. Any ideas as to why they might not be laying?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    This time of year a combination of days becoming shorter in length and natural tendency of birds to molt in the fall often causes hens to stop laying.

3. 1muttsfan

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    And welcome to BYC :)

4. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Nona! [​IMG] Chickens don't usually molt until 16-18 months of age, but the shorter daylight hours can slow down or stop egg production. Sex links should however be good winter layers. Has there been any change or trauma that might put them off laying? If they're healthy and eating well, I'd just keep an eye. Good luck!

5. NonaT

NonaT New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    I don't think there has been any trauma. The other 4 hens are laying just fine! I'll just keep watching them. My husbands keeps telling them to quit being freeloaders! LOL!!

6. NonaT

NonaT New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    "husband" not "husbands" :D

1 person likes this.
  7. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Show them a nest box and a roasting pan, ask them which one they would rather "lay" in! Be sure they're not hiding eggs, that happens...

8. NonaT

NonaT New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    That sounds like something my hubby would tell them! hahaha! I thought maybe they had decided to not lay in the nest box any more so I checked everywhere really well this afternoon. They don't free range, but have a large run. I appreciate all the idea coming!

9. 1muttsfan

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by