Some chicks are darker than others

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pumpkin the rooster, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Pumpkin the rooster

Pumpkin the rooster In the Brooder

Jan 26, 2018
    My hen had just had chicks about 3 days ago. Not very sure what breed my hen is (she looks like a Plymouth Rock) but I do know what breed the roo is. My rooster is a buff Orpington. When I first saw the chicks they seemed all normal yellow(it was dark and night so I probably couldn't see the colors well) but in the morning they came out the nest and some were orange (5 were) and the orher 3 were yellow. One of my hens was laying eggs in the same nest but only one because when I realized she was doing so I blocked the nest off during the day and opened it at night (so she can eat) . The egg the other hen layed didn't hatch. Are these chicks sex-linked? I had red star chicks a long time ago and the darker ones we're hens and brighter roosters, is this the same? 20180330_093929.jpg 20180330_093936.jpg

ashlandco likes this.
  2. ashlandco

ashlandco Songster

Mar 31, 2017
    I’m not an expert but I don’t think your mama hen is a barred Plymouth Rock. I may be wrong though:) still very pretty! And cute chickies!

3. Pumpkin the rooster

Pumpkin the rooster In the Brooder

Jan 26, 2018
    Yeah, I don't think she's a Plymouth Rock either, but it's the closest looking breed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: