some clarifications for my first incubation of African goose and Indian Runner eggs (first incubatio

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by janclemen3, Jul 7, 2016.

1. janclemen3

janclemen3 New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    I'm feeling very clear about the whole process, and have been doing lots of reading on incubating ducks and geese over the last 2 months, but there are still a few things that i would like to clarify. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

and please forgive me if this info is somewhere else and i havent seen it. Anything i ask will be asked because the answers i found were unclear to me. its my first time and i have a mixture of confidence and total self doubt simultaneously - im sure many of you can relate.

before anything, ill mention that i have 2 incuview incubators. one for 5 african goose eggs/ and one for 4 indian runner duck eggs -
    2 of the goose eggs will be three days old, and 3 will be five days old. indian runner eggs will all be 3 days old.

Eggs at different stages -
    i havent found any clear answers to how one should deal with incubating eggs at different stages - for me, its a small difference (3 days and 5 days old, as i mentioned above) but when the lockdown period arrives, how should i approach it? should i go with the older egg's age or the younger ones when calculating which day to go into lockdown? or should i just go with the median?

dry incubation and misting -
    i am not using the dry incubation method - i read the very extensive Guide to incubating goose eggs found on this site, and it has answered many questions, but as it was using the dry hatch method, i wasnt sure about a few of the points. specifically, should you abstain from misting daily if you are adding water to the incubator vs doing a dry hatch? or is it something you can do in both cases?

turning -
    i've read that you should turn your goose eggs 180 degrees four times a day. so should i just do that and turn off my automatic egg turner? or turn them by hand and automatically?

Humidity and temp -
    i have read many different things for the humidity for indian runners- some sources said 55% and some said up to 88%.
    does anyone have a clearer estimate for humidity?

as for my african geese i was going to do - temp 99.5/ humidity 50-55%

again, im sorry if i am posting questions that have been asked and answered ad nauseum, but any clarifications that you could offer this first timer would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by