some confirmation on breed/gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hillsvale, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    So I purchased day olds from a reputable breeder... but all the pictures I have seen don't look like these ones.... so a little help, all of the birds are 17 weeks old and I suspect just one roo, the first pic. We haven't been batting too well with roo vs hen ratio! [​IMG]

this is supposed to be an australorp, it is obviously a roo and his sister... below has no where near the comb and is more on the black side than grey.

[​IMG]

this is the sister...

[​IMG]

this is a wellsummer and a chancellor ... chancellor was hard to catch a photo of. Both have very cute owl like face puffs.... the chancellor was supposed to be a wellsummer but the breeder hatched chancellors out for someone and they were very similar as day olds!

[​IMG]

this is another of the wellsummer.

[​IMG]

this is an americauna... I have two, they both look alike so am not sure whether I got a picture of both... so I will just post one, they are also in the second photo.

[​IMG]

She has told me that her stock is pure so there shouldn't be any EE's here.... please confirm what I have... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Pictures of the legs would help on the black and white birds.

Austalorps are black. It looks like you have a Barred Plymouth Rock, a Cuckoo Marans, and a couple of Easter eggers. That's not a Welsummer.

I don't think there is such thing as a Chancellor. Perhaps a Chantecler, but I don't believe they have the muffs. I'm not that familiar with the breed.

I would guess the other two are Easter Eggers.

3. tberryer

tberryer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Yes, the first two are Barred Rock Roo and Barred Rock pullet.

4. rdport

rdport Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Texas
    I'm sorry, but I don't see any hen that looks like a Welsummer...maybe I am wrong, but look at a Welsummer picture on line.
    Maybe yours are a different strain than what I have seen.

5. Hillsvale

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    Well I was thinking barred rock as well but the breeder doesn't have barred rock! Her stock is such that she tells me there would be no easter eggers either.. the americauna and austrolorps should be pure.... and I saw her set up before buyng as she supplied me with my sheep and pigs as well.

The black and grey (first two pics) their legs are yellowish orange, they don't appear to have spotting etc.

As for the spelling on the Chantecler, my error.

Her breeding pens are dedicated so cross breeding shouldn't have been an issue!

They are very pretty so that isn't so much of an issue but it would be nice if the stock I buy is what I wanted.... especially at $5. a chick!

Actually here is what she said to me:

I do not have any barred birds here at all so I can not understand where that came from. Can you send a picture of them and maybe I can help figure it out. Did you not get other chicks from another place this spring? My Ausies are true they were not near anything else during breeding time. The only other black birds I have are the Cochins with feather feet. The only thing I can think of is maybe Americana birds, that can hatch out black, buff or blue and lace out as they get older.

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    EE's and barred rocks. Maybe sister could be cuckoo marans. What color legs on her? The roo? what does his tail feathers look like? At 17 weeks looks like my neighbors pullet. My BR roos are 8 weeks old and already geeting long tail feathers. Rest are EE's.

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:x2

Your "breeder" has scammed you and most definitely lied to you. That is no Australorp and DEFINITELY no Welsummer! Barred Rocks or Cuckoo Marans and Easter Eggers. My guess is she ordered some birds and gave the ones she didn't want to you.

It's not an "Ameracauna" or "Auracauna" either. Those birds are pure-bred, difficult to come by, and expensive. Many hatcheries sell EEs (Easter Eggers) as both those breeds. In truth, EEs are mutts... but still one of my favorites!

ETA: We have Australorps, Barred Rocks, AND EEs, so I can tell you for 100% certainty that those ARE Barred Rocks/Cuckoo Marans and EEs. Sorry! They'll still make great birds anyways.

I'd confront your supposed "breeder". She ought to be shut down.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Hey Philly! [​IMG]

I have to agree with him-def not a welsummer:-( cuckoo marans and EE's

9. Hillsvale

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    Quote:x2

Your "breeder" has scammed you and most definitely lied to you. That is no Australorp and DEFINITELY no Welsummer! Barred Rocks or Cuckoo Marans and Easter Eggers. My guess is she ordered some birds and gave the ones she didn't want to you.

It's not an "Ameracauna" or "Auracauna" either. Those birds are pure-bred, difficult to come by, and expensive. Many hatcheries sell EEs (Easter Eggers) as both those breeds. In truth, EEs are mutts... but still one of my favorites!

ETA: We have Australorps, Barred Rocks, AND EEs, so I can tell you for 100% certainty that those ARE Barred Rocks/Cuckoo Marans and EEs. Sorry! They'll still make great birds anyways.

I'd confront your supposed "breeder". She ought to be shut down.

Well this sounds a bit harsh but anyway...

The breeder is very high up on the board of the Maritime Heritage Breeders Association, I can't imagine it would bode well for her position in this society to scam people... not that I suppose it isn't possible.

She has an incubator which when I picked up my day olds had a further 400 eggs inside.... so she didn't purchase a bunch of older birds and give me what she didn't want. This is all very odd but yes, they are lovely birds regardless.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The Bird in the First picture is a Barred Rock I see Yellow legs.
    The Barred bird in picture looks like a cross (she has a beard).

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by