Some confusing chickens- what gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AtlantisPeeps, Oct 27, 2015.

1. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    I have some 19 week old chickies! I have 6 total, A home bred Blue Orpington x Speckled Sussex, a golden campine, a silver lakenvelder, and 3 white Cochins. I know 100% of the cochin genders. 2 girls and a boy. These three confuse me though.

This is Hershey. I hatched this fluffy myself. S/he is a Blue Orpington x Speckled Sussex. This chicken is literally TWICE the size of all the adults. That is not surprising though as her/his father was the same size. S/he also has HUGE feet. It took me a long time to sex her/his daddy too. We didn't know he was a boy until he crowed. Hershey is not mean or dominant, but S/he is confident. Very brave and playful.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

-[​IMG]

Next up we have Dakota. This adorable little thing is a Golden Campine. S/he is my smallest baby, and very flighty. I think that's just a light breed thing though. S/he has tiny feet! Sorry the side view is blurry. Stinker would NOT hold still!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last but not least is Indiana. My Silver Lakenvelder. Very small feet, and VERY flighty. Indiana also is pretty mean.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This is just for grins and giggles, but sometimes she looks like a black and white peahen! Haha!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My thoughts are rooster, rooster, hen.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    They all look like pullets to me.

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I would say you have three pullets.

5. lmboeder

lmboeder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2015
    I'm not totally on board with the first 2 being pullets. I have to look at my Campines tomorrow and I'll post a pic of them if they are really different than yours.

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    At 5 months of age (19 to 20 weeks), those are all pullets.

LofMc

7. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Three pullets.

The top pullet hatched in a female only color. Males would have a black chest and red coming through at the neck.

The other two are very fast maturing breeds. If they where roosters, they would have much larger combs, curving tails, and hackle and saddle feathers.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They all look like pullets to me, too.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by