Some coop decor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SophieLain127, Apr 14, 2009.

1. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I'm not planning on getting my hens till summer, however I'm hoping to have my coop up in two weeks or so. I was wondering if anyone has ever planted anything in or around there coop.

I was wanting to plant some beans to grow up on to the coop and pumpkins, zucchini, or some type of melon around my coop and then a covered herb bed inside. I am planting prior to chicks arrival in order to give my plants time to mature.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you think this is a good idea? I want something that will be functional and aesthetically pleasing.

2. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    Sure,,plant anything you want around your coop,,it will be fine. Just keep in mind that any plants that the chickens can reach and eat,, they will destroy the plant. So plant outside the coop and run.

3. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Sounds good. I'm planting sunflowers and other stuff around mine this year. Last year we just got construction done and this year I'm adding pretty! I'm putting pavers down for a cute little walkway. I hope my skyscraper sunflowers give some shade to the run along with making it beautiful. Then the chickens can eat the sunflowers.

4. SophieLain127

Apr 7, 2009
    I've checked on the toxic plants web page to make sure is safe for them. I expect them to eat some of it. I think it will serve good for several purposes especially the beans

shade
    food
    and pretty

5. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Mostly all beans are toxic unless cooked. Besides, they will obliterate the tendrils, stalks and anything else that's against the wire within beak reach, so as long as it's against the coop and not the run, it's be fine.

6. SophieLain127

Apr 7, 2009
    Darn. I was really hoping to use beans. Oh well I guess I can find something else. Thanks for the info that could have been a huge disaster.

7. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    I was thinking of planting some malabar spinach; it climbs and is succulent and tasty...here's some more info:

In response to a post on the EasyGarden Forum for a good vine to grow next to a chain link fence, someone spoke of planting Red Malabar Spinach.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25252

8. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    we were thinking of doing a few grape vines. starting them a few feet away from the run, but letting them climb the fencing and provide a bit of shade, and treats as well. I figure it would bring japanese beetles and other little insects for the girls to snack on, along with any fruit that might make it to ripening. I am also trying to think of other things that climb that are not beans, but nothing comes to mind other than the grapes. I was thinking of doing some blueberries near the run too, but just close enough so they can get a few berries, not terribly close to where they eat all the fruit off of the bush and i won't get any.

oooo I just thought of another vine type fruit, BLACKBERRIES!! I would have to dust them with DE to make sure not to have chiggers but these would be good too, lots of good vitamins in them for the girls. what do y'all think of those?? anybody tried them?? (I am trying to keep in mind the nutritional factor as well, because dark berries are high in vites and antioxidents)

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh yes plant...I am putting spinach and sunflowers around the run along with a special tomato I bought just for them called tomato spoon...they are pea sized tomatoes. I may be planting peas too but I am checking on the toxicity of them raw first. I am also planting melons for them.

Here are some links for you to check out

For Chickens:

http://www.poultryhelp.com/link-toxins.html

For birds:

http://www.multiscope.com/hotspot/safeplants.htm

http://www.plannedparrothood.com/plants.html

http://www.cockatielcottage.net/houseplants.html

10. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    anyone know if Hops are poisonous to chickens? i wanted to move my coop closer to the house and there's a lot of hops that have been there forever, they climb fast and look nice too. They never seemed to bother the cows n horses, and haven't this winter when i let the chickens out, but they were mostly brown then too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by