Some dang chicken hurt Ozzy! Vetericyn or pine tar?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gritsar, Sep 14, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When my polish cockerel Ozzy came out of the coop this morning I noticed that one of the hens had apparently plucked a beakful of feathers out of the back of his crest. The older hens have been kicking his butt when he tries to mate, so I assume he tried his nonsense and a patch of his crest feathers were lost.

I brought him in the house to tend his wound. It's at the back of his head. I considered putting pine tar on it help it heal while at the same time teaching those naughty hens not to peck his crest, but DH wanted to try the vetericyn spray first.

I'm worried about putting him in the coop tonight and having the hens make the wound worse. With the location of the wound I don't feel like there's any danger of the pine tar getting into his eyes.

So vetericyn or pine tar?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Blue Cote......[​IMG]

3. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Blue cote, blue lotion.....it works wonders and the other birds don't seem to peck at it.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mine did great with Blu-Kote, but I used blue food color and neosporin before I went to the farm store.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks for the responses but I don't use Blu-Kote. If I am going to use something of that nature it would be the pine tar.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Honey....no I am not calling you Honey Grits, but you are. [​IMG]

Honey on his head wound - it is great for wounds - even has healing properties. Course the girls might still try for a taste and it is much yummier than pine tar. [​IMG]

Maybe honey then pine tar?

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks Horsey. [​IMG]

I put more vetericyn on it tonight at roost time. If in the AM it looks like those naughty hens have been at it again I'll switch to the pine tar. I say, I say, if the boy would just stop wing dancing the hens that are like five times bigger than him he might survive with his crest intact. [​IMG]

8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

Maybe he thinks the loss of his crest is worth it for hen love.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:He did it again this morning. He attempted to wing dance Bluey, the boss of the brahma hens. I felt sorry him. She kung fu kicked him hard enough to make his beak rattle. [​IMG]

But...the vetericyn seems to be doing the trick. His scalp is not near as sore looking as it was yesterday.

10. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Oh no. Kung fu kicked. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Just send him to me grit. I hope he gets better soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by