Some duck info please :) ....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Butterball, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Butterball

Butterball Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    At our home for the last 8+ years we have raised chickens, turkeys, and guineas. We are considering now the idea of ducks, but I have some concerns.

My biggest concern is their ability (or lack of ability) to escape predators. (Our neighbors have some vicious dogs that get out about 6 days a month at least.)

Do or can ducks roost in a tree to escape harm?

Are mallards the only type that may have the chance to fly away quick enough?

We are really interested in Khaki Campbells, but can't seem to find anything about their flying abilities.

I have also that they do not hatch their own often or well. We usually hatch our own eggsin our incubator anyway, but this would be a nice quality for ducks.

Lastly, do duck eggs really taste that much different than chicken eggs? We kinda wanted campbells for their laying abilites as well as other good qualities.

Thanks for your help![​IMG]

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I've only had one predator attack so far, a great horned owl. None of the ducks were able to escape except my Mallard, who flew away and came back 15 minutes later.

None of my ducks can get over 2 feet off the ground. The best thing to do is keep them in a well built pen, and put them into a coop every night. That's why the owl killed one of my ducks - we hadn't been locking them up at night.

I love my Khakis. They are friendly and curious, especially since I started giving them treats every day. They can't fly, and lay huge white eggs everyday. They probably won't hatch out their own eggs. That's one of the reasons I got a Mallard with my Khakis, Mallards will go broody.

To me, duck eggs taste just like chicken eggs. My husband likes them better than chicken eggs. They are awesome for baking, they make everything rise more. It seems like everyone has a different opinion about how duck eggs taste. It's something you'll just have to try for yourself.

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
  4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    We are really interested in Khaki Campbells, but can't seem to find anything about their flying abilities.

My khaki drake flies like a brick.​

5. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:My wife and daughter really love the duck eggs. I never was much on eating eggs because of a slight allergic reation to eggs when litte..

I just found out over the Easter week-end that the daughter has that problem also when eating a chicken egg.. She stated that the duck eggs didn't bother her and tasted great..

Guess I'm going to have to try some soon... [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. CHICKENLADY123

CHICKENLADY123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    just got two mallard ducklings. when should i worry about them flying away

7. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I am new to ducks but I love them! (see my silly website!) Love the Khakis. Can't imagine them flying because they are so heavy. We have a very tall pen so nothing can get in. Also making a new one with a top fencing so we won't worry! I let them out in the yard ONLY when I am out with them. We have lots of neighbor cats and so far nothing seems to want to bother them. Ducks eggs are wonderful! A little more rich than chickens and more orange yolk. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by