Some economic intel from local poultry suppliers

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi, I have been calling around to get informed about the demand for chickens, so I can calculate how many to buy or hatch myself. Here is some information from local poultry suppliers:
The local livestock auction (in rural Ohio), says last week, 4 chickens (3 hens and 1 rooster) sold for $76. The administrator said that was the highest she had ever seen. She said rabbits aren't in demand as much.
The local Tractor Supply store manager said she received instructions not to put any baby chicks on clearance this year (or season), due to the egg crisis. Usually they discount the chicks to $0.50 or half-price, if they haven't sold in a few weeks and a new shipment has arrived.

Hi, I have been calling around to get informed about the demand for chickens, so I can calculate how many to buy or hatch myself. Here is some information from local poultry suppliers:
The local livestock auction (in rural Ohio), says last week, 4 chickens (3 hens and 1 rooster) sold for $76. The administrator said that was the highest she had ever seen. She said rabbits aren't in demand as much.
The local Tractor Supply store manager said she received instructions not to put any baby chicks on clearance this year (or season), due to the egg crisis. Usually they discount the chicks to $0.50 or half-price, if they haven't sold in a few weeks and a new shipment has arrived.
A few months ago I sold 4 2 year old barred rocks, 3 hens one rooster, for $100.

That would make each chicken $19. How old were they? What breed? All of my 1-3 year old hens and roosters sold for $15-20 each. I had 88.

@littlecoopnextdoor @Meri Maura do you think the demand will continue throughout this year? I'm betting that there will be demand in Oct, Nov, and Jan, when the hatcheries are closed, but wondering if there will be demand for backyard birds in the summer months?
I'm not sure! there are two small hatcheries close to me that seem to not be having too many issues, though some different breeds than last year. There are a few smaller farm breeders too. I think the price is always kind of the same for point of lay hens it seems, $20 is what I'd expect to pay. The chicks went up in price since last year at the same hatcher, about 40%. I don't mind since I'm just getting two more but that could add up if you were getting a whole flock.

I'm not sure! there are two small hatcheries close to me that seem to not be having too many issues, though some different breeds than last year. There are a few smaller farm breeders too. I think the price is always kind of the same for point of lay hens it seems, $20 is what I'd expect to pay. The chicks went up in price since last year at the same hatcher, about 40%. I don't mind since I'm just getting two more but that could add up if you were getting a whole flock.
My thinking is, when the certified or brand-name hatcheries close for the season, customers start searching for secondary sources on craigslist, like us backyard breeders. At least, I started receiving calls for pullet in October, and stopped receiving in January (with a break over Christmas).

Back
Top Bottom