Some eggs developing behind others

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hzemag84, Mar 29, 2015.

1. hzemag84

hzemag84 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    my hen went broody and I think she stole some of the other hens Eggs along the way and may have a few chicks that are developing behind others. I now have them marked and candled them today. Question is, is it ok for some to hatch and then the others to need a few more days? This was not planned and so we didn't get off to good start as far as marking eggs and even knowing when she started to sit. I have a general idea but not exact day.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    As a rule the hen will stay on the nest about 48 hours after the first chick hatches to allow stragglers to hatch. If you've got eggs farther behind than that you'll either need to discard them or plan to rig an incubator for a few days to allow the late developers to hatch. How far along is your broody?

1 person likes this.
  3. hzemag84

hzemag84 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    That's where things get tricky:/ one hen had been laying on them for about a week and a half and then a second hen plopped down and refused to get up. We candled them and tried our best to identify the older eggs and move them along with other hen that had been sitting for longer to her own broody pen. We left other hen in coop with rest of flock and left her with the newer (younger) looking eggs and just said if she continues to sit we'll let her. Then another hen started dropping her eggs in box with broody and created more confusion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by