1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Some feed advice, please

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MOChickenz, Sep 8, 2010.

1. MOChickenz

MOChickenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Missouri
    My FIL lives with us and the chickens. [​IMG]

When we got our poultry farm gals (1.25 year old white leghorns) he had me get grower feed for them. Our chicks are 9 weeks old, they are in the brooder and getting 'broiler starter'.

Shouldn't the big ones actually be eating laying mash? Also, isn't it time for the chicks to get grower feed? I also feed veggies and fruit, and calcium to the older ones.

Any advice and explanation would be appreciated!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Your 9 week olds should be on starter/grower (it is combined in my area). Same feed. I think some feed companies might have separate feeds for starter and grower, but not here. Look on your bag.

Your 1.25 year olds should be on layer pellets or crumbles or mash. It will have added calcium, but it's still good to give oyster shell on the side. Pellets are less wasteful since they can clean them up if they fall to the ground.

3. MOChickenz

Jun 10, 2010
    Missouri
    Tyvm! Here the grower and starter are two different feeds. I will try the pellets.

4. ChickensAreSweet

Oh and don't forget grit if they can't find little tiny pebbles in the dirt. I give mine grit anyway. There are 3 sizes of grit for different ages.

5. MOChickenz

Jun 10, 2010
    Missouri
    Thanks again! I had forgotten grit. Will go get some later today.

6. ChickensAreSweet

You know, I just had a thought when I looked at your other thread. Some people put everyone on starter/grower (and serve oyster shell on the side for the layers) if it is too hard to keep feed separate.

So everyone eats the same thing, but the layers can get calcium. There is also a "flock raiser" food that I have never used, and don't know anything about, but someone else might. It might have calcium in it, or not.

The chicks should have 20% protein, the pullets 17%, and the layers 16%. But you don't want to give calcium-laced pellets to your ones that aren't laying. It is better to have too much protein, IMO than to serve too much calcium.

Oh heck, I think I didn't say all that very well....[​IMG]

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We feed layer mash and they eat like porky pig [​IMG] I have a 13 grain scratch looks like a gourmet meal and higher protein than standard scratch(alfalfa and good stuff) so I take a little of that add it with the mash and wet it like mash is supposed to be fed...you won't have a worry about any waste but warning...instead of Grandma got run over by the raindeer it's Momma got run over by the chikies then for their snack feeder we have crumbles-my feed store doesn't make a pellet.We also have starter then grower.I normally leave them on starter longer because it's higher protein than the grower...a personal decision but we feed all of our birds higher protein..the grower is usually cheaper...or it is at my feed store [​IMG]

8. MOChickenz

Jun 10, 2010
    Missouri
    So, if I am reading this right... There is no hazard involved in keeping them on the higher protein food for longer. I don't mind spending a bit extra, I just want them to be healthy. My big gals did not get the greatest start in life. [​IMG]

9. ChickensAreSweet

I don't know if there is no hazard with too much protein, but I do know that there is hazard in giving extra calcium (layer pellets) when they are too young for it.

Some folks will go ahead and switch if they use up their bag right before POL (point of laying). I personally am going to start mine on calcium around 20 weeks, or when I see the first egg, whichever comes first.

They are resilient little guys! Are yours ex-battery?

10. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    No problem with higher protein.Many people feed Purina flock raiser to everyone..it's a 20% protein feed...I'm more thrifty than that and get mine made fresh at my local feed store for less than half the price but do feed the higher protein.I free choice calcium and have never had a problem with more than a very occasional soft shell-many of my ladies won't touch the stuff and they do fine.
    We are one of those people that have several bins of feed each for different ages and needs from new hatch to old to meat birds and molting ladies.It gets complicated though so when I have chicken sitters they can feed my generic feed for a few days and no one will suffer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by