1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Some food questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dill, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    Is cat food or dog food (dry) safe for ducks? Which would be better (I know the taurine in cat foods can be dangerous to some animals)?

Can they have seeds, like millet? If so, will they neeed grit to digest it?

Is corn ok, and how often?

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    There is a widely mixed feeling on dry dog/cat food. I've read different sites saying it's great, others saying it's super bad, and others saying it's good in moderation... I for one don't feed my ducks dry dog/cat food to be on the safe side. There are soooo many other foods you can give them that makes them happy. Their feed provides enough protein and vitamins, and vegatables and bugs are way better for ducks than any processed dog/cat food. I don't think anyone knows quite for sure what is in dog/cat food or how it's made, so i personally think it would be a bad idea... I also find it rather gross [​IMG]. Anyone else on the subject?

As for seeds....Seeds are very bad for ducks. Seeds can cause painful digestive problems. Ducks don't digest them easily, any food that doesn't digest easily gets stuck in the crop, causing it to become impacted. From what i've researched the only good way to fix an impacted crop is surgery. The same goes for nuts. Some people online say seeds are fine or can be used as grit, i wouldn't believe them. The vast majority of resources say seeds/nuts are very bad for ducks...

It's way easier to feed them feed/scratch/and vegatable trimmings. If your worried about protien or them getting enough, buying nightcrawlers from pet stores is muc much better. they love them, they are not expensive, and it's natural! If you still want to give them a dry food that's healthier for them, try floating Koi food. It has 30% protein and it's cheap from walmart. Plus they love swimming for it when you throw it to them in the tub/pool.

As for grit... All ducks need grit. Most outside ducks can get it themselves when they forage. They pick up bits of dirt and rocks from the food they eat off the ground. With your duck being inside a lot like mine, they need grit as a suppliment to their diet. You can find it at feed stores (which are not hard to find, but if you live in a city like me, you might have to drive awhile out of the city to get to one. Or you can buy it online.) I get mine in a little 5 pound bag from a farm supply store about 15 miles out from my city. You can just sprinkle it on your ducks food once a week, or you can do it like me. I store their feed and scratch in two seperate pet food containers. I keep a smaller air tight food container with a spout that i fill with half feed, half scratch, and about a handful of grit. I mix it up and use that to fill their food bowls

hopefully this helps!

3. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them [​IMG]

I heard spinach takes away the calcium (I think thats what it was) in a bird's body so feeding spinach when they are laying eggs is bad. that true?
    so corn is a no? i've given mine whole and cracked dried corn before..

Wow i'm glad i asked about the seeds!i've heard of people feeding millet and such to mallards

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    corn is alright in moderation, remember it has lots of sugar/carbs which is bad for your ducks in large quantities.

I've heard about spinach too... I just avoid it myself

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    My ducks are eating dry dogfood of different brands for month now . They look and act just fine. they will actually try to gang up on the dog to get to her food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by