some freebies I got, might be mixed breeds PICS included

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kycowgirl78, May 7, 2009.

1. kycowgirl78

kycowgirl78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Morgantown, Ky
    I got some freebie chicks and they didn't know exactly what they were. Said they COULD be crossed but were not sure. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

give me your best guesses guys cause where I got em from sure wasn't any help. Some look to me maybe to be Black Australorps or crossed with it. Some look like chipmunks, some are all yellow, some are kind of a reddish brown with black speckled wings. Who knows?

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I know...I hate it when people do this to my housing for my birds...

But you REALLY need to move them into a cleaner, larger area.

The chick in the second photo looks like a Silver-Laced Wyandotte.
    First chick looks like a Black Australorp.
    Same for the third chick...looks like a Black Australorp.

3. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I think I see some Rhode Island Reds in there?

4. kycowgirl78

kycowgirl78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Morgantown, Ky
    But you REALLY need to move them into a cleaner, larger area.

Yes rodriguezpoultry I know they need a cleaner, larger area. I was trying to put them in a small space so I could photograph them all without having to take so many pictures. The tote had not yet been cleaned out from my ducklings. The larger birds have been seperated from the smaller birds and everyone is clean and doing fine, thank you for your guesses anyway.

Anyone else think the one picture is a SLW? I hope so, I have 2 roos and I'd love it if it was a pullet. I was thinking the ones that are mostly black were australorps so thanks for confirming that.

Red sex link, could they be RIR over white leghorn? Because a couple of those chicks are actually ones I raised so those may be the RIR/leghorn crosses. And I know a couple of them are EEs because I hatched those myself.
    Thanks for the guesses, at least helps me narrow it down.

5. bremat

bremat Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    KY
    Those red ones really favor my RIR chicks. Here is a picture of mine with some banty chicks.

[​IMG]

6. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I also think SLW. But those that are being guessed as the RIR, I think are going to be sex-links. They do not look dark enough to be RIR.

7. bremat

bremat Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    KY
    I think you are right about the black Australorp. I bought two this weekend at Orshelyn's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by