Some good news Amazing.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by elizabethbinary, Jan 14, 2011.

1. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I found my last missing friend. It was actually quite a few people that live in the same little community that went completely under - but Andrew is the owner of the pub that all these blokes live in upstairs. He was the one I was looking for desperately. I couldn't contact him for anything. I went to the pub today and nobody was there - but the inside seemed miraculously clean. When I knocked, he opened!!! He was so surprised to see me, too. I was so grateful to see him. Turns out he had been cleaning by himself on a little island in the middle of the river as the water went down. He started from the ceiling and the lower the water went, the more he could clean. But he still needed A LOT of help.

Guess what I found out though? Not only was he alive - he saved three other people in the floods. He took a boat out and rescued people off their roofs. You can see him at the very end of this video just finishing his rescues: (the one with the long hair) How fantastic is that!??

We were the first ones there but slowly, everyone I knew started showing up. Even the FIRST friend I had missing, Ian! [​IMG] He came to help on his own too! Some people I was surprised to see (a bunch of 18 year old apprentices who sit out front came!) and others I wasn't so surprised to see (the guy with the name of the place tattooed on his arm, haha) and absolute strangers. It was really amazing the turnout today. By the time my friends got there to help me the jobs were nearly done and we were going door to door asking who needed help - and nobody did! They all had hundreds of helpers. People came in with pallets of toilet paper, nurses to help the volunteers, two children handed muddy bikers cake and biscuits their mother made - there was even little teacakes and biscuits from the grannys who couldn't make it! It was so touching to see how everyone came together to help my friends. (I don't recall if I mentioned this but I actually used to work at this pub - for about 2-3 years).

This fell in from a tiny outdoor smoking area with no roof - we didn't even know who's it was!!
    [​IMG]

These are the 18 year old boys, who decided to help by making us all lunch and handing it out.
    [​IMG]

And this... is not even 1/8th of everybody:
    [​IMG]

Thank you all for your prayers! Every single ONE of my friends made it out safely, and then some. Your prayers made this whole thing so much easier. G-d bless.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I am so happy that you and all your friends made it out ok. We've all been praying for you and I know for one... I've been worried.

Glad you're ok [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the update! [​IMG]

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am so happy that I found this post. I was worrying about your friend Ian, and I am so happy that he made it out of the flood alive. [​IMG]

6. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    So happy to hear everyone is ok and thanks for sharing!

7. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Great news. Thanks for sharing. We are thinking of you on the other side of the world. Having been to Brisbane and up the coast, I can't imagine the devastation to this beautiful part of the country. Has downtown Brisbane even been affected?

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    This is awesome Elizabeth!! congrats!!!!! [​IMG]

9. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote:Anything remotely near the Brisbane CBD has been affected, sadly. Teneriffe, gone. West End, under. St. Lucia - gone. The University? Gone. Milton. The Valley. All of it... [​IMG] It's just devastating.

WE GOT TWELVE THOUSAND VOLUNTEERS! I saw ARMIES of people ten in a row walking and just going to every single house stopping to help. ARMIES of brooms, pressure washers, utes... trucks and trucks of food. Amazing.

I did accidentally find a dead baby turkey though. [​IMG]

10. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    [​IMG]
    Glad to hear that you and your friends are ok!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by