Some grown hens a neighbor gave us--ID help please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Niss, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Here are some of our hens. I would like help with IDing breeds. They are the 2 year old remains of a 50 bird "orental layers" pack.

1. Long Neck. She's bearded, maybe an Americuana?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. I have 2 that look like this. I am getting usually 2 light green eggs a day and I suspect these gals.
    [​IMG]

3. I have 3 that look like this. They all have that grey on the ends of the tail.
    [​IMG]

4. Wiggins. I'm really hoping she's broody! She has lightly feathered feet and lays light brown eggs with dark speckles.
    [​IMG]

5. Fluffy Britches. She's got heavily feathered feet. She also gets lots of attention from the guys [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Blackie...maybe a black sex link???
    [​IMG]

7. Two "mixed bamtams" from TSC. They are both dark footed and extra fluffy. The Dark one has a tuft on his head.
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. phy

phy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    1 & 2 are definitely Araucanas/Americanas. I had an Araucana/Americana about 6 years ago that looked just like #1. 6 is definitely a black sex link. I'm not sure what the others are.

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    the last two are silkies

4. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks for the help!
    Silkies? Will they be extra work? They make good broodies don't they? Any ideas about sex on those two?
    In that bunch we also got some red sex links and Silver Spangled Hamburgs.
    [​IMG]

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:wow, I would say a Seabright...gorgeous birds! I could be wrong though I am pretty new to this, just know I love this bird! The silkies, no, I am new to them also, I have one little one...blackish, just have to watch them in the snow and mud...their leg feathers can get all nasty! And yes, I hear them make great mothers, but very hard to sex till they get older...

edit...you said you have some Silver Spangled Hamburgs, that is what this last one appears to be, a pullet? Anyone else!?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  6. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    1 and 2 are Easter Eggers
    #3 Looks like a White Leghorn
    #4 sounds like a White Marans
    #5 Cuckoo Marans
    #6 Black Sex Link

7. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    1 and 2 are Easter Eggers
    3. Not sure on this one. She doesn't have the yellow legs of a Leghorn.
    4. White Cochin?
    5. Barred Cochin
    6. Black Sex Link
    7. Silkies (Not sure on the sex)
    Your Hamburg is lovely.

8. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    I know these has already been said... but for more verification..

1. Easter Egger (I have a white 11 week old that looks just like her named Gwen)
    2. Easter Egger
    3. no clue sorry
    4. Cochin is my best guess but can't really tell with out a body pic
    5. Cochin? Cochin mix?
    6. Black Sex Link
    7. Silkies!

9. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    The #3s have yellowish legs, but they aren't bright yellow. Could that be age? They were two this spring.

The black and white ones I'm fairly sure are Hamburgs. They are little gals, lay small white eggs, and want to sleep high in the trees. I also never see them eat. The one in the pic is "Two", we have a second one "One"--named for the outer row of dots. We use to have a third [​IMG] see my thread in the preditor section. They are so pretty--thanks for agreeing [​IMG]

Fluffy Britches had way more feathers on her feet than Wiggins' (named because I thought she looks like a woman's powdered wig c. 1770) but I don't know if that is a breed difference or if Wiggins is just a little more beat up in that area. At any rate #5 has that barred pattern and thickly feathered legs/feet.

10. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    Here are more pics:

[​IMG]

And all my #3s with my golden comet roo "Racey"
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by