Some Help From You Guys !!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by konjo, Sep 28, 2010.

1. konjo

konjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    Need some help with the breed PLEASE!!. I know that the White hen is a White Leghorn now the other one they said was a RIR? I don't know about that.She has a band of black going around her neck as you can see in the photo. Also they are about 23 weeks. Any signs that might say that they are getting ready to lay?

Thanks,

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

The picture is small, but her neck looks kinda EEish to me.

3. konjo

konjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    OK I uploaded a bigger Photo so we can she her better the red one ?[​IMG]

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I have an EE x Buff Orpington, and she looks a whole lot like your girl. They tend to have a puffy "fat" look around the neck area, some have beards but not all crosses do. Ones with more EE blood have those crumpldy little combs (pea comb? rose comb? I suck at the names for them) but my crosses have kinda "mixed up" combs that don't fit into a category.

Maybe yours is a red breed (RIR, production Red, etc) crossed with an Easter Egger?? She's not pure RIR I can tell that much.

5. konjo

konjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    Sorry but what's a EE x Buff Orpington

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

The red roo in the front of this pic is the offspring of a RIR and a redsexlink, skinny neck
    The grey and red roo behind him is the offspring of an Easter Egger and a Marans, puffy looking neck
    [​IMG]

7. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    EE x Buff Orpington is a cross between an easter egger and a buff orpington. I agree that the hen has an EE kind of look.

Both of my white leghorns started laying when their comb was big enough to flop over.

Hope that helps.
    Robin

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    EE x Orpington is an Easter Egger (mutt chicken with possible blue egg genes) crossed with a Buff Orpington (golden, poofy looking chicken)

Looks like an Easter Egger to me. (basically the same. . . mutt with a possible blue egg gene [​IMG] )

9. konjo

konjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    As far as egg size and production what can I see comming. Also the bird is a little nervous is that because hanging around leghorn ?

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    To my experience, some Easter Eggers are flighty when young - Just wait it out, let her settle.

Egg production can vary, really. I'd expect some good production from her though - She looks healthy and looks partial "production red" - What people call Rhode Island Reds, but really are kinda far from it, and basically just red chickens that lay lots of brown eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by