Some help with breed please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ldawntaylor, May 18, 2016.

1. ldawntaylor

ldawntaylor Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2015
    Arkansas
    These chicks came from the co-op. I just don't remember what the sign said they were. I remember one of the bins being marked sex-link. The yellow chicks are from that one I think. The dark one may be a Black Ausultorp. I know they are not the Cherry Eggers.

Yes, I know too early to tell gender. These birds are about 2 1/2 week old, I think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Pic #1 look like Red sex-links
    Pic #2 looks like a Australorp or a Maran, does it have feathered legs?

3. ldawntaylor

May 23, 2015
    Arkansas
    Thanks,

No the black one does not have any feathers on the legs.

Getting chicks this year is proving to be an adventure.

4. ldawntaylor

May 23, 2015
    Arkansas
    An update on the three. First a picture of the three together. They are about 6 weeks old.

[​IMG]

Each picture following is of one of these birds individually. Each being a different bird. Selfie feature had to be used to get any kind of individual picture at all.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hmm, the red ones don't look like RSLs anymore :/ they are probably some sort of Production Reds (one looks like a pullet and one looks like a cockerel). The black one looks like a Black Australorp cockerel.

6. ldawntaylor

May 23, 2015
    Arkansas
    Thanks, that pretty much matches what I've been thinking.

I just haven't been having any luck raising chicks this year. They are healthy birds so far as I can tell. But, of the nine that were supposed to be pullets - 8 seem to be cockerels. Of the three straight run I bought, only one seems to be male. Of the other 6 birds I bought 2 more seem to be cockerels.

Of all the males - only the purebred Welsumer was bought intentionally.

7. ldawntaylor

May 23, 2015
    Arkansas
    Back once more with pictures. And please try to ignore the fact that pictures were taken before cleaning was done.

The bird pictured below is only about 9 weeks old. I find myself thinking I have another cockerel on my hands.

[​IMG]

The second and third pictures are of the other two 9 week old chicks. One I believe is also a cockerel, the other may be a pullet. It seems to have rounder feathers by the neck and shoulders when compared to the other.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the picture above, the bird is showing a bit more color than usual because of objecting to being picked up.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The black is an Australorp cockerel. The reds are second generation red sexlinks. As you have probably figured out, second generation birds look like first generation pullets, but the sexing by color does not work. You do have a pair.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

10. ldawntaylor

May 23, 2015
    Arkansas
    Thank-you for confirming what I've already suspected.

Six sold as pullets from that one co-op and only one is actually believed to be a pullet. My Olive Egger - also a suspected cockerel is already almost the same size as that Australorp.

I do have a question. I find myself getting very confused....is a second generation red sex-link the same as a production red? Or is production red just a term that can cover pretty much all the RIR crosses?

Thanks again,

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by