Some help with this egg please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    By ML recommendation i brought in this last egg... now here is a pic with a flashlight backing it...

[​IMG]

It was moving this morning, no signs of pipping though.. has it died? it's kinda liquid like if you gently move it, do you know what i mean??

[​IMG]

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    If it is liquidy, I would say it probably died. Sorry. Everything should still be pretty contained with the airsac in the big end. You can try opening it to see if it is viable.

3. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Thanks.. yeah we opened it, well a poke through large end, it's gone. [​IMG] I guess 4 out of 5 isn;t bad though, so we will rejoice in the life we have gotten.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Sorry again. 80% is an excellent hatch rate though. I opened one of mine that didn't hatch. It was fully formed. I didn't open the others. [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm sorry GQ but you did the right thing, and probably something was wrong with it. so yes Rejoice in the 4 that hatched. I'm sure mama is proud.

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    yes, your both right. It was a bit sad, the girls(my daughters) and I all did the examination. She did very well this year compared to last, with 2 live hatch and only one surviving, the four seem content and sassy.. a bit cold but we watched them all drink and one did the little wing flap, love that!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by