1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

some ideas for pop doors for those looking for ideas.....(pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by savingpurple, May 15, 2011.

1. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    I was very worried about critters when building this coop. Told my husband the biggest thing I fear is coming out one morning to find them not there due to an during the night attack, or seeing the worst I could imagine.

So...he came up with this idea for the pop door. It works great, and I feel safe knowing they can't get inthis way. Again, on a budget idea.

Hope you can see the pictures okay!

Here is the pop door from inside the coop. The inside door is to the right of the opening.

[​IMG]

I have a handle on it to grab it with and then he made me a sliding door frame. I just grab it and slide it in. The bottom slide part does get filled with wood shavings and poo, but a quick clean with a whisk broom and I am good to go.

[​IMG]

Then he drilled a hole in the 2 x 4 of the frame,and cut another piece of wood. Drilled a hole through that downward. Have a grade 8 bolt that goes through the small wood piece into the 2 x 4 frame.

[​IMG]

I just wiggle back and forth to get the bolt down into both, and it is lock tight now from the inside and the outside. If something gets through the outdoor lock, they will have to get through another tough wood piece!!

[​IMG]

Just some ideas for those with little money, but an idea that makes me feel safe at night for my chickens:)

2. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    sorry to have bothered this site,as my posts go unanswered. no comments....did I do something wrong??

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  3. maggiegigs

maggiegigs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Well I think your safety door is a great idea and well thought through. I have read so many posts of owners losing their chickens to predators because of faulty coop design with no thought put into protection. Thanks for sharing.[​IMG]

4. Fool

Fool Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    Like the Grd 8 bolt. Real Ft. Knox security...unless it's an inside job [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  5. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I am sure it is me, but I can not make out what I am looking at in your pictures. I know it must be the pop door, but I can not figure out anything. The pictures make no sense to me.

6. John-DownEastNC

John-DownEastNC Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Beulaville, NC
    I like your door, too. I haven't set my pop door up yet, but I'll probably be stealing some parts of your ideas...

Thanks for your pics!!

Security is a major concern of mine, too, 'cause I know I've got bobcats, coyotes, foxes, and raccoons, plus possums, neighbor dogs and cats, loads of different types and sizes of hawks and owls, and turkey vultures, too, all roaming around my area and all looking for a chicken supper!! ...and I don't even know how many different kind of snakes I have to protect from...!! Needless to say; "Free-Ranging" is out of the question!! lol (I don't believe you are "paranoid" if they really are out to get you...)

One of my differences will be that I'll make my door to rise and fall, rather than slide, and, I'd like to "wedge" the door into the tracks to lock it, I think... but I still want to be able to open it in the morning without having to use tools, too!! Still working out some ideas on that... Oh, my pop door opening is 6" off the floor of my coop, too... my intention is to keep most of their bedding IN their coop; we'll see how that works out.

BTW: This time of year, I spend most of my day outside in fields, vineyards, or gardens, if I'm not working on the birds coop or yard. I rarely get inside before dark (REALLY dark, sometimes!); if the weather is too lousy, you'll find me in my shop sharpening something or repairing something else... It is pretty unusual for me to be able to check with BYC before 9pm or so. I know some people manage to be on and off here during the day, but I'm also sure loads of other folks are the same way I am, so don't feel too bad if you don't get much in the way of responses to your posts in the daytime.

Keep thinking of better ways to get the job done and then share with us!!

Best Luck,

John

7. kayla_sayswa

kayla_sayswa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Oh I get it now! It took me a couple of times to get the orientation in my head right. I think it's a great idea!! Thank you for posting your pop door pictures. I lost my chickens to the neighbor's dog and then the chicks to a skunk so we're completely redoing everything and security is a big deal!

8. FarmerRob

FarmerRob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2007
    Georgia
    I am not sure if I am seeing everything correctly.
    Is the bolt/peg stuck in there the only thing that holds the door shut?
    If it is and there is nothing else to keep predators at bay I would be concerned about a racoon. They are evil-smart about figuring out a simple latch.
    Not picking on you just not sure if I am seeing what I think I am seeing.
    Some more pics maybe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by