some ideas on roost

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by farmer9989, Oct 14, 2012.

1. farmer9989

farmer9989 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    alba texas
    [​IMG]
    This was my first thought, it works like I wanted it to then ,

[​IMG]
    When I went to scoop the poop , I noticed that they had worms.
    so my thoughts were how to worm them with out killing my red worms in the barrels .

[​IMG]
    which led me to cut ply wood to cover them . put screws through the ply wood up into the roost poles .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My original thought was to capture the poop to put in the barrels as needed
    another thought is to make the ply wood the same length as the roost poles

[​IMG]
    I have 29 in here right now and will be adding 35 more by the end of the month

[​IMG]
    The coop is 18ft /20 ft planning on building chicken tunnels from the coop to the garden which is 90 ft /70 ft all planted with elbon rye and turnips for the winter. Then build 4ft /8ft pens that I can put together end to end to reach one end to the other.cover one complete row at a time.
    I have 15 muscovys coming hopefully the 26 of October . Mainly use them in pens to keep the grass (bermuda grass)from growing along the side and into the garden and keep down the mosquito population .

The barrels have the top open and one ,one inch hole cut about 2 inches from the bottom .Hoping to produce worms to feed some along .

I put around 25 and upwards bags of leaves and grass clippings a year in here . that they turn into great fertilizer .

Any more ideas or comments .
    Thanks for all your post and information that i have received reading this forum .
    Jimmy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by