Some incubator questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NightTigress, Feb 1, 2012.

1. NightTigress

NightTigress New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    Hey folks.

I'm hatching regular chick eggs, and I'm wanting to hatch 4-6 American Buff geese eggs as well. I know, I -need- to put them in a separate incubator due to the different humidity needs, and the different hatch times, etc.

With such a small number though, I'm having a hard time. There are small incubators that will hold 2-3 eggs (I'm afraid none would hatch, and it would break my heart), or my Hovabator, which holds a few dozen, which seems silly to heat and maintain for so few eggs.

Does anyone have good experience with homemade incubators? Which would you recommend for this situation? I saw a "Sunny Side Up" incubator on Ebay, but I don't know how much to trust it. My last hatch all pipped internally and then died in shell (the cat thought the top of the cheeping incubator was PERFECT to haul up her blanket and sleep atop. The temp inside was 108* when I found her up there and shooed her off. [​IMG]So I'm now really worried that they won't hatch at all. *wibbles*

Also, I have 10 different thermometers, and they ALL read different temps. Some are 'mercury' (I know, it's alcohol, but still), some are digital, some are spring. How on earth do I find out which is correct, and calibrate the others to it??? I had one, wasn't sure if it was accurate, so I bought another, and then that didn't match with the first, so I bought a third to see which of the two was wrong, and got a third temp, and so on and so forth so far. [​IMG][​IMG]

So yeah.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

(Also, real quick. I'm looking for someone who will be selling fertile American Buff geese eggs this spring.. but I -don't- want to order right now, because I don't have an incubator for it. I've spent the last few months searching online, and aside from 1 site, I can't find them. Does anyone have any ideas on this one?)

2. NightTigress

NightTigress New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    *bump*

3. NightTigress

NightTigress New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    Okay, since nobody on here wants to be bothered to answer questions, how about another forum? Thanks folks. Really.

4. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    i have not hatch geese eggs but i have done call duck and runner ducks and turkeys
    I also have a dickey bator it is not home made but is hand made.
    I have hatched duck eggs fine with chicken eggs still incubating with the humidity rasied to 75 -80% and had fine hatched.
    the temp I keep id 100.
    I have had a temp spike before I got the dickey bators and still had them hatch not all but not bad either.
    It all depends on how long it spiked. once you've had one all you can do is wait and see.
    I have a digital one it takes longer to get to the right temp. I dont really like it.
    I like the mercery ones better.
    did you have them all in the same place in the bator? if not the temp will very a little if closer to the heating element/fan and a little lower at the far corners.
    hope this keeps sorry noone got back to you faster most work durning the day and dont get on till later.
    Best wish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by