Some kids actually pay attention to what parent say!

debilorrah

The Great Guru of Yap
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
The Carpal Tunnel Rehab Center
My son is now 22 years old. We never had guns because as a single mother, I was gone more than I was home, working, so I never took the chance. However, he was raised knowing his rights. I never discouraged gun ownership and explained my reasons for not having any when he was a child.

So he now has a gun. Learned to use it, clean it, store it. He calls me and says he shot a rabbit. I said "For dinner, right?" Silence. "No mom, just testing my skills." I said, "My dear child, you should know by now that if you shoot it, you eat it. Guns are for protection and hunting. If you hunt it, you eat it or give it to someone else that will eat it."

Silence.

Next day: "Mom I shot another rabbit and we had it for dinner over a fire we built and it was delicious!!! Oh and we beaned two sparrows with the pellet gun and while they were only two bites, they were really good."

lau.gif
gig.gif

Last edited:
Actually he said the sparrow tasted like pork, almost beef like and it was really dark meat. Learn something new every day. And I always call him my dear child!!!!

LOL awsome!! glad he listend reminds me of when my nephew was oh about 3 years old talking about hunting after his grandpa went hunting. walking around the house he would say "look i shot a deer,look i shot a bird,look i shot a bear ect untill he started getting into "look i shot a horse,look i shot a dog"
when i heard him i would ask "are your gonna cook em up for dinner? and at first he would look at me disgusted and say "NO!" so i explained to him what "meat" was and were it came from. then when he started "look i shot a dog" and i would ask "are you gonna cook it up for dinner?" he would stop and ask "do we eat dogs?" i would say "nope are you gonna shoot dogs?" then he would say "nope" "look i shot a mouse" "are you gonna cook it up for dinner?"
"do we eat mouse?" "nope you gonna shoot a mouse?" "nope"
i dont think he quit playing that game with me untill he was 4. hopefully it wore off on him hes only 8 now

Quote:
that's pretty funny! I am just proud of my son for listening, and thinking he went a bit far by eating a sparrow. But dang it!!! You shoot it dead, you eat it!!!

I'm happy for your son and the way he seems to be doing this so responsibly.

But in the interests of responsible behavior do tell him to check out his state and local hunting regulations. Game wardens are notoriously humorless creatures who are not at all sympathetic to "I didn't know that was against the law!"

Some animals have no season and can be taken any time. Others do. Some cannot be hunted at all. This in particular applies to many species of song birds so I'd hate for him to run afoul of the law by shooting the wrong ones.

I've never eaten sparrow. They're so small it would not have occurred to me to try one. Interesting experience he had there.

A.T. Hagan :

I'm happy for your son and the way he seems to be doing this so responsibly.

But in the interests of responsible behavior do tell him to check out his state and local hunting regulations. Game wardens are notoriously humorless creatures who are not at all sympathetic to "I didn't know that was against the law!"

Some animals have no season and can be taken any time. Others do. Some cannot be hunted at all. This in particular applies to many species of song birds so I'd hate for him to run afoul of the law by shooting the wrong ones.

I've never eaten sparrow. They're so small it would not have occurred to me to try one. Interesting experience he had there.

I have had that talk with him, and he assures me they never leave Tyler's property which is 10 acres out in the middle of nowhere, so we are good there too.​

Back
Top Bottom