Some kind of EE, what is the color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by babyrnlc, Jul 11, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    This is our rescue chicken that we found on craigslist, she is missing some feathers on her neck and back, but otherwise doing well now. She layed a giant double yoker, blue green egg. Her legs are not green though.

What is this color called? Thank you! Any guess on the age? I was thinking young still, but I am pretty clueless. (She was living in the alley of a business!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    She looks like she was the roo's favorite! She may have been mounted a lot by that roo. EEs can be any color because they are crossbreeds so I don't think it is very specific.

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    EEs don't come in standard colors (that's the reason they're called EEs and not Ameraucanas). I'd say the closest she comes is a Splash Buff.

Yay for you getting pretty eggs!

4. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I'd just call her blue-red and go with that. Like others said, EE don't usually fit any specific pattern. I've noticed that a lot of them seem to have blue in them though.

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:Actually, Easter Eggers are called so more often than not because they are crosses or have Quechua lineage [​IMG] Not because they are mixed color purebreds.

Though, right, they have no APA accepted color. She's a sort of red comet color.

6. Vora

Vora Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    I'm gonna go ahead and say that she's an Easter Egger/Golden Comet cross that just happened to get ALL of the Golden Comet coloring. That's weird, yo.

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:Actually, Easter Eggers are called so more often than not because they are crosses or have Quechua lineage [​IMG] Not because they are mixed color purebreds.

Though, right, they have no APA accepted color. She's a sort of red comet color.

That's the magic of EEs, they can be almost anything you want them to be [​IMG] They can be a cross, with muffs, without muffs, with green legs, without green legs, etc.

Ameraucanas were developed out of EEs to be a purebred line that produces very specific colors with no variation. EEs will vary all over the place, but tend to look like Ameraucanas. That's why hatcheries get away with mislabling them.

I think of them as a rainbow of beautiful gems that are really fun to genetically play with!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by