1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Some kind of Respiratory illness but which one???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aShMaNv, Jul 1, 2011.

1. aShMaNv

aShMaNv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    I have a hen two hens that are breathing heavily and you can hear them almost gurgling when breathing. There is no discharge of nose or eye and no swelling. They act normal and eat normal, but i know something is not right. I understand the breathing heavy and panting because of the consecutive days of 100+ temps.. But the sound they are making when they breath is what worries me. One was doing it first then another. I have them and the entire flock on Duramycin-10 currently and one is somewhat pale in the face but her breathing is better and seems to be slowly recovering. However the other shows no improvement so far. Any idea of which respiratory disease I am dealing with here???

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Hard to say...could it be CRD...have they had this before?
    Or have you thought about worms?

I hope they feel better soon !

3. aShMaNv

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    Quote:I actually havent thought about worms... Would that explain the breathing??? And they have not had this before. This is new.

4. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    if it looks more like "gasping" and not panting...then yes....

Gape Worm or Syngamus Tachea.....

Signs and Symptoms

Infestation causes respiratory distress. Gasping for breath or 'gaping' as it is known is the biggest sign of gape worm. Shaking of the head and neck stretching are common. When birds are held, gurgling or a 'tracheal rattle' can often be heard. This can often be confused with respiratory infection, if in doubt, check for other signs of respiratory disease. If a heavy infestation occurs, death by suffocation will occur. Fully grown gape worms are 'Y' shaped and vary in size between 1 and 2cm long.

5. aShMaNv

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    Quote:I guess I wouldn't call it a gasping, but it sounds more like a tracheal rattle or gurgling constantly. I will try to get a video and put it on here.

6. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    I would say since they have no other signs of resp. infection that you might want to treat for gape worms ....At least that is what i would do....

7. aShMaNv

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
  8. aShMaNv

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    Ok it worked. Listen for the low gurgling sound when she breathes. Like I said she is acting normal. I have not noticed any swelling or running of any sort and she is eating and drinking like normal. Just the breathing issue. Hopefully someone can help me out.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I can assure you that is NOT gapeworm. You are dealing with CRD, possibly MG. If duramycin isnt working, try denegard. It is for swine, but can be used for chickens. It can be purchased from QC supply online. I've read alot of very good things about it. There is no resistance to it and little withdrawal. Type "denagard" in the BYC search box and read about it.
    Here's a link to respiratory diseases, then a link to MG.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps034

10. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    not Gapeworm....that is CRD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by