Some kind of rocks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jnine, Jan 9, 2010.

1. jnine

jnine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    The Great South East
    I just bought these two chicks - we think they are about 12 weeks of age (and hopefully hens).

The black one looks like it is part barred rock, the other a little like a partridge rock - but with a rose comb.

Does anyone have any other thoughts? I know it's a bit hard to tell from the photo's but do they look like they are girls? There are no telltale saddle feathers I can see.

cheers [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The first one is a BR pullet, but the other one is a mix.

3. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    The first one looks like a pure barred rock. The secon one looks like it has welsummer and barred rock. Maybe some easter eggger

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    They are so pretty. Congrats on your new additions!

5. jnine

jnine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    The Great South East
    Thanks everyone. The old owner was reluctant to part with them as they are so pretty and unusual looking - but she knew they were going to a good home [​IMG]

6. Janos&Jen

Janos&Jen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Spring Hill, FL
    Congrats Jnine...They are beautiful!

7. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on the new additions Jnine...and take Speckledhen's word about the one being a BR. If anybody around here would know, it would definitely be her, the undisputed Queen of Barred Rocks! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    For what its worth, I think they very likely could both be crosses. The first female only seems to have one copy of the barring gene. For it to be pure BR, it would have two copies. The barring just looking incomplete to me.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Dustin, I have an older hatchery BR who has "faded out" barring in places, so could be that is a pure Rock, just poor quality barring. Then again, it certainly could be a cross since I have a BR over Ameraucana hen who has really nice barring for a cross. Since BR males pass barring to all their offspring, could be a cross with another single breed, but my money is on BR with so-so barring.

10. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I can definately see that side of things, but my guy says cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by