Some like it HOT - - Some Don't

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by math ace, Aug 25, 2010.

1. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    SPECKLED SUSSEX - - - Do they lay well in the HEAT - - 90 - 100 F?

My Marans' egg production went way down in this summer heat.
    My leghorns, EE's and wyandottes did good in this summer heat.

My SPECKLED SUSSEX, PARTRIDGE ROCKS, and WELSUMMERS are too young to lay yet.

I am wondering how well these birds should lay during next summer. If you have personal experience with these 3 breeds - -
    SPECKLED SUSSEX, PARTRIDGE ROCKS, or WELSUMMERS - - - AND you live somewhere that experiences HOT HOT SUMMERS - - -
    Please let me know how these birds do in the heat -

THANKS

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I know a few folks that live in Durban, which gets super hot, nearly all their hens (including their Sussex)go down in production and spend there time under trees and dust bathing.

I hope this helped.

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    so far, now watch it change, the Speckled sussex continue to lay well this summers, but last summer went broody. Depending on level of heat, the Welsummers can slow down. My barreds, heritage RIR, buff orpingtons, bbs orpingtons, and lavendar orpingtons still laying. Delawares laying well! Really at present only wheatan marans and black copper marans have slowed down.

In addition, Some breeders actually breed broodiness into the lines because that's what they want! So check your lineage and not only the breed. Met the Alabama owners of one famed flock and they said they bred broodiness into their lines - I said why and they don't like incubator....Well, that's nice, but I backed away, cause I like eggs too! smile.

great question.

4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Hi Math!

It does not get terribly hot here in the summers but when we have a week or so long heat wave (that's all the longer they ever last) my Wellies do slow down, but they have never been prolific layers so when I don't get an egg for a couple of days it doesn't phase me.
    Sorry I know this wasn't much help.

5. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    pinkchick - I am surprised to hear that the wellies never laid well to start off with. I;ve have seen many post that they got rid of their marans and kept the wellies becaus they laid bettter.

So, we have . . . .

2 for hot weather slow down on wellsummers
    0 for hot weather slow down on Speckled Sussex
    no feedback on partridge rocks

Come on BYC members, I need your opinions. . . . If you have had these breeds before - - -
    Did They Slow Down Their Laying In the HOT TEMPS ( 90 - 100 F) of Summer ? ??

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    My welsummers have laid well all summer- and it's been awfully hot. Except for the broody, of course [​IMG] I had sussex last year, and they were fine- when they weren't hiding eggs.

7. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:My Marans lay better hands down, all the way across the board, in fact they lay better than any other breed I have. Welsummers were never intended to be high production layers, on average, a Wellie may give up about 3-4 eggs a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by