1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Some meat birds growing much faster than others - What up?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by gckiddhouse, Oct 28, 2010.

1. gckiddhouse

gckiddhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Desert Hills, AZ
    A few weeks ago, I picked up 19 cornish x day olds. I brought them home and then distributed 4 to friend A and 8 to friend B. The other 7 stayed here.

Friend A kept hers in what used to be a lizard aquarium inside the house for the first 2 weeks and fed them organic feed
    Friend B kept hers outside in a hampster cage and fed them organic feed
    I kept ours outside in a dog kennel and fed them organic corn and soy free feed

Friend A has chickens that are now 1 1/2 times bigger than the other 15 chickens. They have more feathers and are just huge and healthy looking. She seems to have 1 rooster and 3 hens. They are about 4 weeks old now.

What on earth is making them grow so fast? Any ideas here?

I thought it was the feed, but then realized that both friends are feeding the same feed.
    One thought is that she had a light on them that had been for the lizard. That there was something special about the spectrum light. But the others got real sunlight. Also, after the first 2 weeks, these also got real sun light.

I am so curious!!! Would love to figure it out and then repeat it and make it a 4-H project for DD to put at the fair.

Sorry I don't have any pics.

2. litterbitt

litterbitt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    West Central GA
    Perhaps the ones with the light had it 24/7 so they ate more at night?

3. gckiddhouse

gckiddhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Well, they all had lights. Hers was different, though. I think the others ate all night, too, though. Mine sure did. They had the red light which is supposed to let them sleep, but they ate all night. We though that maybe there was something about her bulb since it was for a lizard and not just a light bulb.
    Still baffled [​IMG]

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Perhaps the lizard light kept them warmer. Fewer calories used to keep warm, faster growth.

5. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Red reptile bulbs are just plain red lights. There are UV bulbs needed for certain species of reptiles. They give off UVB rays, but lose that after about six months, and unless it it a Mercury Vapor light it doesn't give off a lot of UV rays. And no man made lights compare to the UV rays given off by the sun.

6. MeatBird

MeatBird New Egg

Oct 28, 2010
    I have done several broiler projects for FFA. We intensively manage thier enviroment including temperature and stimulation. We keep our birds inside a building with heating and during the summer A/C. We also stimulate them as much as possible causing them to eat more. Space and arrangement also effect competition for food. We do leave lights on 24/7. We feed show quality feed and add electrolytes and vitamins to thier water. In a space of 42 days we will have cornish crosses that weigh 8 1/2lbs.

7. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    friend A had only 1/2 the amt of birds you and friend B have, so the competition at the feed trough would be a factor for consideration

8. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:nah... only if they had the same amount of trough space... i'm assuming there was compensation - as in more feeder space for more birds. at least i would hope so..!

9. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:Hi,
    Cornish rock crosses are bread to grow fast on high protein food. I read somewhere that they are ready for market in 56-59 days so expect big birds quick (not 8 1/2 lbs). Did any of them have heart attacks, did any have deformed toes?
    Joe

10. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Possibly the area? The aquarium may be smaller (less room to move) and is draft free so they don't have to use any calories to stay healthy. They are inside, perhaps less stress?? [​IMG]
    Slinky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by