Some Muscovy questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by marvun22, Aug 9, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I heard they are good mothers. Is there a way to make sure they can't hatch eggs? I heard they are very big, with females topping out at 10 and males topping out at around 15. That seems a bit large. The males could really hurt my Mallard females with their size. Would it be better if I stuck them with my geese? They will be around the same weight as my Sebastopol. I also have some questions about a hatchery. What kind of Muscovy does McMurray sell eggs for? Lastly, I have one more question. Are Muscovies that good? Are they worth the $28 I would pay to get sexed ones on California Hatchery?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Muscovy's can make good mothers, depends on the duck, they like to hatch large clutches but here I limit the number of eggs they girls can sit so as not to over populate the market, especially mine since I have a hard time letting go once they hatch. [​IMG] I have had excellent mothers to not so interested ones. My ducks top out at around 6-7 lbs. and drakes are around 12-14 lbs. I'm sure the French Whites probably are heavier since they are for meat even more so than the rest. But I would be concerned about Scovy drakes mating with a Mallard duck big difference in size there. Can't answer your questions on hatchery's

3. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I agree. Do you think they would be better with the geese. I'm planning for a rather small weight drakes in my flock. I'm planning for my 6 future drakes to be: Muscovy, Mallard, Snowy Mallard, Khaki Campbell, Buff, and Welsh Harlequin. Minus the Muscovy, I have relatively light weight drakes with the heaviest being the Buff. My heavier breeds (Rouens and Pekins) are going to be all female. The only breeds I get males of are the ones that have cool coloring. I decided to get all female Rouens and just have some male Mallards, since they couldn't harm my smaller breeds (Runners, Mallards).

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Keeping geese and Scovy's together will work Mine all run together, but during mating season especially with geese your going to have some problems.

5. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I am going to have to find a solution to that. Maybe I should just make a separate Muscovy pen. But they might interact with the smaller ducks during breeding season. I am planning to free range everything when I actually can afford to get everything. Maybe the Musocvy can just stay with their females. That's one reason I want sexed muscovies. I could get 5 females and 1 male. That 1 male would have enough females for him their. But then again, the smaller ones could claim his females and maybe he likes the smaller females more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by