Some newbie questions about incubation equipment and phrases

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by funnybirds, Nov 14, 2010.

1. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    [​IMG] Hello to all the awesome hatchers [​IMG]

I have a "Little Giant" and corresponding egg turner. Most of you recommended the air fan accessory which I am going to purchase and install (although a test run with two thermometers in two different places yielded consistent 99 degree heat for the duration of the test , placed on top of dummy eggs in different corners. (Course; there was no water in the Bator...). Now, we have the matter of humidity. I've looked through a couple dozen different posts and I am SOOOO confused...

How do you check humidity, and how do you steady it, keep it consistent, raise or lower it?

If you have a fan running inside the bator, does the water evaporate more quickly?

How do you add water without continually opening the bator?

Also what is a wet bulb thermometer? How do you use it? Where do you get them or how do you make them?

What does "lock down” mean?

I've done a fair amount of reading and can't seem to find the answers anywhere...

Anyone? Anyone? [​IMG]
    I soooo appreciate any help you can offer!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:

3. funnybirds

Oct 16, 2010
    Thank you. Starting to make a little more sense...

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    How do you check humidity, and how do you steady it, keep it consistent, raise or lower it?

You check humidity with a hygrometer. You'll need to calibrate it to know how close to accurate it is.

Humidity depends on surface area. Volume and depth are irrelevent. You increase humidity by increasing the wet surface area, whether adding water in another water reservoir, maybe putting a sponge partway in a water reservoir so you have more wet surface area. You lower it by decreasing surface area. Maybe putting aluminum foil over part of a reservoir.

If you have a fan running inside the bator, does the water evaporate more quickly?

Probably.

How do you add water without continually opening the bator?

The easiest way is to open the incubator. I'm not familiar with your model, but you should only need to add water every two or three days at the most. It will not hurt to do that as long ass you don't dally too long. No need to be in such a hurry that you have some type of accident and break an egg, just don't stop for a cup of tea.

Also what is a wet bulb thermometer? How do you use it? Where do you get them or how do you make them?

It's a bit complicated. I dont use them so don't have the info to the detail I need to answer. It is just another way to measure humidity.

What does "lock down” mean?

For chicken eggs, you stop turning them, raise the humidity, and leave the incubator closed from 18 days of development until hatch. You do not open the incubator to let the humidity or heat out. Thus it is considered locked down. During lockdown, I use a few of those straws with the universal joint linked together and a syringe to add water without opening the incubator if I need to. I usually don't need to.

5. funnybirds

Oct 16, 2010
    Thank You Ridgerunner!

6. debilorrah

I am happy to see you got a better than mine!

7. funnybirds

Oct 16, 2010
    Yours was good too. Thanks for all of your help! I don't know how you keep up with all of us newbies...[​IMG]

8. debilorrah

Quote:The answer is clear - we don't. [​IMG] Different older members see posts from new folks and dive in. I only catch about 5 newbies a week myself.

9. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Just thought I'd add-

You buy a hygrometer at Walmart, they are between 6 and 8 bucks, some will give temps and humididty readings, as well as past highest and lowest temps. Do a search on here on how to calibrate a hygrometer to keep readings close to correct.

You can also get some clear tubing at a fish supply store, and a good sized syringe (no needle) to help adjust water levels in the bator without opening it. You just thread the small tubing through one of the small holes in the top, or a dent along the edge between the top and bottom, and hook the syringe to the other end of the tubing (once you sucked water into the syringe) and either squirt water into the water resevoir, or suck it out. The onlt disadvantage is you can only put it in one water channel unless you open the bator to adjust the tubes direction.

Expect the humidity to jump way up, possibly to 70% or more during hatch. If it gets that high, you can remove one or two of the red vent covers from the top to let some humidity out. But never open the bator once you hit day 18. It could end very tragically for your peeps. I think almost everyone on here who hatches alot has found this out the hard way, including me.

Best of luck!

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    BTW, I read somewhere that the temperature can change after you add water. I read this after my hatching season, so I haven't had a chance to see if it's true or not. [​IMG]

Best of luck hatching!!! [​IMG] I'm warnin' ya, it's VERY addicting, LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by