Some of babies fluffing up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HatchingFever, Oct 24, 2011.

1. HatchingFever

HatchingFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Some are fluffing up none have died yet and the baby seramas fluffed up and wont hold there tails 90 degrees and some are feeling very light HELP!!! what should I do?

2. HatchingFever

Feb 8, 2011
    NEED HELP will adults get it to?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sounds rather like coccidiosis to me. How old are they? Any bloody poop? Have you checked their feed for mold?

If these are chicks, you probably need to get Corid (concentrated Amprolium) now and administer it in their water for 5 days. Also, get some plain (no flavor, no sugar, plus live culture) yogurt and give them a little every day for awhile to help with the good gut flora or a probiotic like ProBios.

4. HatchingFever

Feb 8, 2011
    Ive had em on corid for 3 days there bloody poo but there cage is wire and above my layer flock will adult birds get it to? how many should I expect to lose?

5. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    We really need you to fill out the sticky at the top of this forum - you haven't told us your situation or enough information to help you. Please go to that sticky, then copy/paste it into a reply so we can tell what's going on.

At this point, I don't even know if these chicks are with their mothers or if they are in a brooder. What is the temperature where the chicks are? Are the chicks near adults? Have the chicks been on starter? If not, then cocci is a big issue.

6. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Quote:Were these chicks hatched at your farm or bought in? Did they do any quarantine before being placed with the adult birds?

I would very much recommend getting those chicks OUT of that area and putting them in quarantine. A wire bottom cage allows the adult birds to get into the bloody feces. You'll need to replace their electrolytes, given the diarrhea. Under NO circumstances should you give chicks yogurt - they are not mammals and cannot break down lactose, you will make them sicker.

7. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    So it sounds like it cold be cocci, and from what ive read, by the time tthey fluff, its further allong. You can try treating it wiith antibiotics, Sulmet. Yes, older chickens can get it, but I think it gets the younger birds more....

8. HatchingFever

Feb 8, 2011
    Just separated from everyone looks like about half r gona die

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Adults are usually immune to the oocysts that are in the soil they were raised on. Chicks are most susceptible. Corid is the best treatment, not Sulmet, which is a sulfa drug and much harder on their gut. A regular antibiotic is not the proper treatment for coccidiosis, which is not a bacteria, but a protozoan.

You need to do lots of clean up if they are pooping bloody poop through wire into the coop where the adults are, though the adults are probably immune. What are you treating them with?

10. HatchingFever

Feb 8, 2011
    Corid 9.6 water solution

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by