Some of my Barred Rocks from Speckledhen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lockedhearts, Dec 13, 2008.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I am really happy with these guys, these are just a couple.

Oldest Male, he is really pretty

[​IMG]

Oldest Female, She is also very nice

[​IMG]

Meet Shaq, he is named such cause since he hatched he had HUGE Feet! Heis out of my second hatch

[​IMG]

2. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    very cute

3. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    awww, they ain't babies anymore... [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Ok, now I really wish I knew what hen went with these chicks. Some of my pullets, these are probably their first chicks that I've seen at this age. Those are wild. The first one looks to have great barring, but his comb has way too many points(where'd they all come from LOL?)
    Maybe the pic is misleading, but does that pullet have a really odd comb that circles around to the left? That's the weirdest comb on a pure BR I've ever seen. So odd, that comb. She looks like she is the result of a BR/Ameraucana mating, with a modified pea comb. Did I give you an Ameraucana egg in that bunch?
    Shaq doesn't look familiar, like I could say "Yep, he's one of mine". We must be in the Outer Limits of chicken genetics! He's really much darker than the first one, isn't he?
    Hmm, if that first boy didn't have a couple too many comb points, I'd say he's not a bad one to breed. Actually, he's not too bad if you breed him to a girl with a proper comb. Barring is hard to get right, moreso than a proper comb.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  5. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I should have planned ahead and had bands in different colors assigned to the names on the eggs. Honestly, I think the oldest were one of Hannahs and Maddies, but I am not 100% sure and of course I sure as heck didn't right it down.
    I can tell you Shaq is Zoe's, I remember cause he was the first Zoe egg Ihad hatch and his feet are HUGE! [​IMG]

The oldest girls comb is not that weird looking, I thik the combination of the sun coming in and the angle and the fact that I was so close makes it look weird, I tried to get her to turn her head.

6. speckledhen

That is Zoe's first chick I think. Zoe has very fine barring and she is a very broad girl, probably one of my largest BR girls. The white bars in her plumage are really, really thin, but sharp. Maybe that's why he's darker than the other boy. Genes are so interesting.

7. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    So does Zoe have big feet [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Probably, LOL. I never looked!

9. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I am gonna have to buy this boy some size 12 Nikes [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

Oh, that is too funny! Now, Lexie's daughters always have big feet. I remember someone commenting on them. I think it was Lynn (HenHaven). She has one of Lex's daughters, Lizzie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by