Addict
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
Hi Friends!

Today i noticed that Pompom Duck, my crested Magpie/Black swedish duck is almost dragging the back end of her belly over the ground. She has developed some kind of pouch between her legs. Looking at the other ducks i can see similar developments in all laying ducks, except for the Runners. Is that something to be concerned of?
Will try to take a picture of Pompom tomorrow, did not had the phone with me outside.

Hi Friends!

Today i noticed that Pompom Duck, my crested Magpie/Black swedish duck is almost dragging the back end of her belly over the ground. She has developed some kind of pouch between her legs. Looking at the other ducks i can see similar developments in all laying ducks, except for the Runners. Is that something to be concerned of?
Will try to take a picture of Pompom tomorrow, did not had the phone with me outside.
it could be a sign of being egg bound, but it is normal for mature females to sag a little.

When my duck had a hard time laying an egg her belly would drag on the ground, @DuckyDonna had the same thing happen too

it could be a sign of being egg bound, but it is normal for mature females to sag a little.

When my duck had a hard time laying an egg her belly would drag on the ground, @DuckyDonna had the same thing happen too
That's exactly right jpat! Please post a picture of how she's standing and walking. Does she suddenly just flop down on the ground and have a hard time getting up, using her wings to walk? Here is a picture of my Eva when she was eggbound.
fullsizeoutput_32e7.jpeg

That's exactly right jpat! Please post a picture of how she's standing and walking. Does she suddenly just flop down on the ground and have a hard time getting up, using her wings to walk? Here is a picture of my Eva when she was eggbound.
View attachment 1988586
So, if she is eggbound give her calcium gluconate. It works great, 1ml and by morning you'll probably have an egg. I use a syringe to give it with a long plastic sheath to make sure I get it all in the right hole.
Poor Eva! Did she recover? - None of my Duckies looks like that, its just a little egg size pouch on the belly. The girls have 24/7 access to crushed Oyster shells, mixed with crushed duck-egg shells and they all help themselves multiple times during day and night. But i guess its a good idea to mix in some Calcium Gluconate powder as i have had several »drake-eggs« (soft-shell) in the last two weeks.

Poor Eva! Did she recover? - None of my Duckies looks like that, its just a little egg size pouch on the belly. The girls have 24/7 access to crushed Oyster shells, mixed with crushed duck-egg shells and they all help themselves multiple times during day and night. But i guess its a good idea to mix in some Calcium Gluconate powder as i have had several »drake-eggs« (soft-shell) in the last two weeks.
Yes she did and she looks awesome now. She really struggled with it for many months but I hopped right on it the minute she got "that look" with the calcium gluconate and then she was fine until the next time. We went through this a lot! I had another one get it too but only once.

Calcium Citrate is what is good for soft-shelled eggs. I just smash up some tablets and sprinkle on top of their food.
The scientists are still discussing which Calcium supply is best, Gluconate, Citrate, Lactate, Ascorbate. Orotate (I don't even know what that is!) or simply carbonate. Bulksupplements.com has them all and i still have a bag of Calcium Gluconate, so i will use that first.

Back
Top Bottom