Some of my girls like.... other girls.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MysticalMom, Sep 27, 2010.

1. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    I've noticed lately that some of my GIRLS, especially my famous Clarksburg Quacker Pekins, [​IMG] and my ONLY female Rouen, are trying to mate with each other. Seriously. They'll get in the pools together without their boys, some with flatten out and the others will climb on top and ... ummm... try to do what the boys are supposed to do. [​IMG] Is this normal behavior, or do I just have weird lesbian ducks? [​IMG] It's pretty funny to watch. Makes me giggle every time. [​IMG]

2. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
  3. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Oh my! [​IMG] I usually only read the duck forum so I didn't even see this. Lesbian chickens and now ducks. What is this world coming too?[​IMG]

4. JJchiknshak

JJchiknshak Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    wellsburg, Wv.
    My female ducks did this all the time... before I had a drake. [​IMG]

5. Broodica

Broodica Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    When the drake's away.....well, you know what I mean...[​IMG] Silly ducks......

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Perfectly normal. It's about establishing dominance/pecking order.

7. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

It's not a sexual thing when the girls do it with each other. It's a straight dominance thing, and quite common in the animal world. Even dogs to it this way.

8. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:I agree

9. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Yeah, just a dominance thing. But still something to giggle at [​IMG]

10. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Mine do it too, and trust me, I have plenty of drakes (anyone want some free drakes???). Sometimes the drakes stand on the sidelines and egg them on. There's one girl in particular who is especially popular on bottom, with both the drakes and the other girls. It's amazing that the other girls even lay fertile eggs, because I NEVER see them getting any. The popular girl doesn't seem to mind either--she's forever asking for more from anyone of either gender. And the girls on top even stretch their little tails around like they're trying to get their parts to meet. It's bizarre but, yes, totally normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by