Some of my neighbors are wondering why...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Bird House, Dec 20, 2012.

1. The Bird House

The Bird House Chillin' With My Peeps

... I'm building a chicken coop. I guess it's a bit over the top, especially for 4 hens, but I'm having fun and excited about getting our chicks this spring! The more I discover about owning chickens the more I think this was a great idea. We'll find out for sure this spring ;)

I'm incorporating salvaged windows, a door, shutters, porch brackets and other miscellaneous old wood components I've collected over the years.

See me coop in progress here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/a/6327693/the-coop/

More to come over the next couple of months.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Looks great to me! My neighbors probably wish I had gone that direction. I went basic construction with brilliant orange paint. :lol:

3. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    Love that coop!!! it's so cute!!!
    You always want to make your coop bigger then you think! because a lot of people get the chicken bug and end up getting more.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG] Just wait until your kin folks think the same way.You make your coop any way you want and don't let anyone stop you.I don't know how much space you have,but make it as big as you can within reason.I started a few years back and my flock has grown as well as my coops.[​IMG]I am in the process of building another coop beside the one I already have and I am attaching them together with a glass walkway,which will be the dining room.I'm like you in that I have scrounged a lot of my material so that it doesn't cost me so much.I have some pictures on my site and I have some more to put on later.I'm taking my time and this is bad because I am always making changes as
    I get materials.I scrounged used tongue and grooved maple flooring.I plan on putting this on some of the floor,construct a door with it and place some on the walls.My wife.family and friends make fun of me.I enjoy it,so have fun[​IMG]

5. The Bird House

Thank you! I figure neighbors won't complain too loud if the coop fits into the neighborhood. Some of them were a bit "freaked out" when they first found out that I was building one. Now they just ask when "I'm moving into it". ;)

btw - City ordinance allows 4 hens only.

6. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    4 hens that's a bummer! oh well 4 is better then none [​IMG]

7. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Welcome. Lol. I only have 5 chickens and they have a coop that looks like a little barn. My neighbors all thought I was crazy too but once I actually got the birds they all decided chickens were cool than they had imagined. Good luck!

8. trooper

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG]I checked out your coop and it is beautiful.You did a great job.What do your neighbors think now.[​IMG]

9. The Bird House

Thank you. I've seen some of them peeking at it over the "yards" and I think, they think I'm going nuts. My next door neighbor asked me "what possessed you to build a c-coop?" Well - Why did the chicken cross the road? [​IMG] But I figure if people aren't talking about you - you must not be very interesting ;) I do think they're warming up to the idea though and some are asking about eggs.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  10. trooper

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG] When you get your birds are you going to get peeps or are you going to get a little older ones.If you get peeps don't be surprised at the size or what they look like.As you learn more about chickens you will see how entertaining they they can be.I'm always learning and there are so many breeds to choose from. Good luck and happy adventures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by