1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Some of the flock still not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trulyblessed, Jan 21, 2012.

1. trulyblessed

trulyblessed Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    I got 7 BA and 1 Americana last March. I know 4 are laying and have been for months! The other 4 have not layed and now that's it's winter, will they? Or is it hopeless until spring? Is something wrong with them or does it take some longer than others?

2. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    They may just wait till spring now. I wouldn't worry just yet. If they aren't laying by summer then you can assume something is wrong. Either their food isn't right or their living conditions aren't right, or something anatomically.

3. trulyblessed

trulyblessed Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Has anyone experienced anything similar? Their food is the best you can buy and they have an awesome coop so I know for a fact their living conditions aren't the issue.

4. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    I have 14 hens and 6 started laying at 18 and 19 weeks, but they are White Leghorns, so I wasn't surprised. Then I have 3 Bo's, 2 RIR's, 1 SLW and 1 EE. The RIR's started at 26 weeks and the 3 BO's started about a week later. Last week the SLW started and I am still waiting on my EE. I raised babies in the other pen and they will be 22 weeks tomorrow and 2 of the EE's started laying 2 weeks ago:) So, seems like they start when they want! I'm really getting excited to see what kind of egg my older EE will have. One thing is I never got little pullet eggs from the late layers, but the EE's that just started are small!

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Some hens started late will not lay due to winter, They will start in Spring. That is not unusual. Some hens will not lay till past 30+ weeks. They have their own time tables. Gloria jean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by