Some one education me on satins silkies please!

Jeskka1819

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2020
Hi guys I’m new here, I’ve been raising backyard chickens for 2 years now and just added a couple breeds I have been wanting for a while. I of course fell in love with silkies and I really would like to know if satin silkies. I know they are but a actual breed but I’m wandering how people get the satin look with breeding silkies. Is there a certain breed of chicken you need? I have polish, Cochin frizzles, silkies, Seramas and golden spangled appenzellers. Some please educate my confused mind right now :)

Jeskka1819

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2020
:welcome They are cross bred birds. You can make whatever cross appeals to you. Silky/Cochin crosses to me are especially and are great broody hens.
I can see how those would be beautiful birds. I love the Batam Cochins. Have you ever seen a polish/ silkie or golden spangled appenzeller? She is below. She has some frizzle in her genetics somewhere just haven’t incubated any eggs yet. I normally just stick with the serama for breeding when I want a new hen. I think her color is so vibrant and silky smooth

Attachments

BennyGreb

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2020
Hi guys I’m new here, I’ve been raising backyard chickens for 2 years now and just added a couple breeds I have been wanting for a while. I of course fell in love with silkies and I really would like to know if satin silkies. I know they are but a actual breed but I’m wandering how people get the satin look with breeding silkies. Is there a certain breed of chicken you need? I have polish, Cochin frizzles, silkies, Seramas and golden spangled appenzellers. Some please educate my confused mind right now :)

When I lack knowledge, I always turn to one interesting project. I did not find it myself, at our university it is very popular and has already saved many students from expulsion, https://assignmentbro.com/us/do-my-assignment has proven itself very well, as a result, I take all the knowledge and increase in grades from there. Maybe you should look there too, in order to get more education.
By the way, your photo is very great!

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
Premium Feather Member
May 5, 2020
Big Island, Hawaii
Well technically satins are mutts, but if you think about it all chickens are at some point. Not arguing that, but just wanted to clarify that there are many breeders who are trying to develop the satin as a true breed. Originally it is a cochin/silkie cross and then they are consistently bred back to silkies while trying to maintain the smooth feathering. Some breeders have several generations of these birds. I ended up with a satin in a batch of silkie eggs I bought from a well-known breeder. He informed me he was sixth generation satin. Ideally they look just like silkies, have all the silkie characteristics including the black skin and the five toes but then they have the smooth feathering.
😊

edgarmongold

Songster
Apr 16, 2011
You and I have have the same taste in birds! The Satins are Silkies crosses with Cochin. I’d prefer a Silkie crosses with a frizzled Cochin :)
Satins are the offspring of breeding Silkie with Frizzled Cochin bantam to produce Sizzle a non recognized breed.
Satins lack both the silkie and frizzle phenotype and are regular smooth feathered.
Some people claim that Satins are necessary in breeding Sizzles.
Not sure if there’s any truth to that or they are just marketing them that way.

Top Bottom