Some people are counting down to Christmas...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by coffeenutdesign, Dec 10, 2012.

1. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    ...but I am counting down to February/March so I can get some new chicks. I will be adding to my flock at the end of February or the beginning of March, depending on how the weather/availability works out. I plan to add some Easter Eggers to my mix, probably get a few more golden sex links, and I am going to try my hand at some meat birds for the freezer.

I am also very excited to add some meat rabbits to my little farmstead. I already have some lined out to purchase in the spring, just got to get to work on their home so I will be ready for them! We are even going to process our own hog this year and I am seriously thinking of breeding my little gilt (if I can find a willing sire) and start raising a couple of piglets to feed out! I have waited a long time to have time, money, and space to raise a lot of my own food. Now I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel! Eggs are great, but how much better will they be when I eat them with a side of pork chop or ham I raised myself??? YUM!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Sounds wonderful! I used to raise pigs for meat and we had some of our own hens' eggs and bacon from our own pigs for breakfast. Unbeatable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by