Some people get stray cats, we get a stray chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MargoBarbara, Jan 12, 2015.

1. MargoBarbara

MargoBarbara In the Brooder

May 9, 2014
    We had an introduction to our flock last week-the neighbour thought we had lost one of our across the road-we quickly went to do a head count, nope, not one of ours. Tried to catch her unsuccessfully, it kind of felt like the Keystone Kops;chicken one way, us the other. No luck. Just as we were heading out to do some errands, we spy her in our yard. Somehow,. she must have heard ours free-ranging and wanted to come over to investigate. We managed to put her in our coop's enclosure and I then put up signs in the neighbourhood "Found Chicken". We got a phone call that night, claiming her and saying she had been on the run for 3 weeks! What happened was that a raccoon killed the rest of the flock, and I suppose she was so traumatized that she left. She was spotted roosting in a hedge 3 doors away, then chased across a fairly active intersection by a dog, then to us. I think she was lonely and needed friends and safety in numbers! She is hanging around ours without too much aggro but chooses not to roost in the coop at night; instead she goes to the very top of a 8 foot bay tree. Clucking and rustling away until she's settled then up early in the AM waiting for ours to come out of the coop. So far, so good. She is a Black Minorca, so very handsome.

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Songster

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Are you going to keep her? :) Welcome to BYC!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

4. MargoBarbara

May 9, 2014
    Yes, we are going to keep her. She seems settled enough and since she made her way over here because she needed a flock, I can give her what she needs. It's very funny that she likes to roost up high in a tree. Maybe she learned that when she was on the street.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Roosting in the trees at night isn't the safest thing for her. Hope she will come down to earth and mix with your flock.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Drumstick Diva X2 She really shouldn't be roosting in the trees and will eventually get picked off. But how nice of you to rescue her!

Good luck with her and I hope she brings you great joy!

7. BonRae67

BonRae67 Songster

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I prefer the stray chicken. Glad you joined.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

9. MargoBarbara

May 9, 2014
    Any suggestions on how to get her down to the ground before night time? And thanks for all the welcome[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: