Some people just don't need chickens...a kinda long rant.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by luvmychicknkids, Jun 6, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    One of the most glaring examples is turning out to be my mother. Alright, we decided to get chickens at the same time...work together sort of thing. So far, every chicken purchased has been by me. That is fine. She has 5 hens laying, 4 about 9 week pullets, and her eye on teh 10 2 week old babies I just hatched. Her "hens" are actually just older pullets and will be a year old in October. Now, I always make sure she has plenty of feed. With gas prices none of us make any more trips than we have to and my kids go to school close to her house. Last Friday (the last day of school) I asked several times "are you sure you don't need chicken food". She assured me that they all had plenty. Well, Saturday night she calls me in a panic. Are the 9 week olds big enough to eat anything besides their starter/grower foood. WHY? I ask.....well, she said she is out and of course, the feed store will not be open until Monday. I said but I asked if you needed any. Her reply...."I had plenty for Friday and didn't need it then!!!". OMG!!! I was upset but gave her ideas on what to do until Monday (it is a LONG drive for me to go bring her food). So, I am finally recovered from that and she calls tonight. "These hens are just not laying AT ALL anymore she says". I ask what she means. Now, remember, she has 5 chickens to lay eggs. She is mad because she generally gets 5 eggs a day (I told her she could not expect this every day) and yesterday she got 3 today 4. I assured her that is normal. She is now insisting that, normal or not, she needs a BUNCH more hens....in an 8'X8' coop. *SIGH* [​IMG]

Sorry, I just NEEDED to vent. Figured this was the place.

2. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    Sympathy! [​IMG]

It's so hard to have to "parent" your parent....I've been doing it for nearly 25 yrs plus parenting 2 kids (and DH). [​IMG]

Kudos to you for your patience. Hopefully come Monday your mom will agree with you that there is no need for a bigger coop or more chickens.

Unfortunately. monitoring her ability to care for her chicks means more work for you.

Hang on in there!

3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Thank you. [​IMG] I have 3 little boys and my hubby is military so the kids and I live alone most of the time....some days I just feel a touch overwhelmed. [​IMG] My husband would say....honey, is it PMS time again??? LOL

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh jeesh! I SO know what you are going through with your mom. I fattened a pig, for our freezer...and he has already been slaughtered. So, now MY MOM wants a pig for HER freezer. Well, problem is, she lives in town! So, yup, I now have 2 more pigs! One for her, one for my son and family members. Problem is...mom is constantly telling me how to raise HER pig! Jeesh, I think I already know what I am doing here. LOL I love good old mom...at 70, she is very wise, and has a lot of " advise" I just wish she would let me raise these little piggies...without her " help" Unless she wants to come out and help feed...or haul water...or clean thier hut and add fresh straw! LOL For now...just grin and bear it...we will miss them one day. [​IMG]

5. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    For now...just grin and bear it...we will miss them one day.

I do keep reminding mself of this. At least mine is chickens not something as large as a pig. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  6. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Oh, how I wish my Mom was still here to run out of chick food![​IMG]

7. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Parents - can't live with them, but definately hard to live without them!!

8. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I do understand that. My point was not that I would rather be without her....just that some days it can be frustrating. Just wanted to vent a little and believe me, I will gladly do for her as long as the opportunity is there.

9. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I understand your frustration. My Mother can be very hard to deal with at times. She has many issues and it seems only my sister and I can deal with most of it. Thank goodness we have each other to fall back on when we feel like pulling our hair out. But I still love my mother, even though she drives me crazy!

10. Celeste

Celeste Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Lyndon
    Understand the frustration completely. Hugs to you and hope your mom thinks ahead next time. Being a military spouse is tough enough (especially with 3 boys, I know from experience) without added stresses. Keep hanging strong and thank you for supporting your husband, and thank him for his service as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by