Some people just don't understand

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by citychickx6, Dec 11, 2011.

1. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Several years ago I decided with my family that we were no longer going to have a comercialized Christmas. We do still have Christmas.
    Things we do here:
    1. Make sure to do a kind thing for someone. Random and unexpected. Preferably unseen. Gratitude not expected.
    2. Have the day without computers and video games or TV.
    3. Have a nice meal with our family.
    4. Donate to a charity in addition to the local food bank.
    5. Be grateful for what we have and say so.
    6. Send out Christmas cards with wishes for a happy holiday and a fantastic new year.

Things we no longer do:
    1. Go into debt to get someone something they will not use, do not need or want.
    2. Put up a tree and lights. ( Large puppies in the house and the house is small)
    3. Expect anyone to gift us anything.

The other day at DH's work I guess they were discussing what they are getting the spouses and kids. DH was asked what he was doing for the kids and wife and he said "Nothing. We don't do Christmas." A coworker called him a Satan worshiper since we do not do the tree and gifts.

It really upset DH that his friend thinks of it that way.

Am I being a grinch since we changed how we do Christmas?

2. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    Not at all. Who cares what everyone else thinks? You do what is right for your family and that is perfectly fine. I bet you aren't stressed out at all by the holiday like a lot of other people are this time of year. That reduces the meaning of Christmas for a lot of people.

The coworker was completely out of line to say that to your husband. Your family is celebrating the true meaning of Christmas and you sure don't need a tree, lights or a big credit card bill to do that. You just have to tell yourself that some people just don't know any better. If it doesn't fit in their little box... then it must be wrong.

Keep doing what you are doing and experiencing the holidays the way that you feel works for your family. [​IMG]

3. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Some will say yes. Some will say no.

4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I think you should do what you feel is right. As long as you keep the reason we have Christmas alive. I like the list of things that you do. I only decorate because I love the decorations. My decorating, tree and gifts have nothing to do with honoring the birth of Christ. It is just what I like to do. Merry Christmas!

5. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    [​IMG] I just think someone must have peed in their cheerios that morning. [​IMG] I just think they had to justify their feelings on totally forgeting what Christmas is about. Some people can't feel good about themselves unless they make other people feel awful. Give a big hug and tell your hubby that alot more people feel the same way about Christmas like you do.[​IMG]

6. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    You are at a point that I would love to be at with my family. I think your husband's response that you don't do Christmas was slightly misspoken. You still do Christmas, with more honor and reverence than most.

7. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, your husband did kinda fib. You don't do NOTHING. you spend actual family time together without all the electronic distractions people do nowdays. You give to others in honor of the Savior's birth. Your husband's answer made it sound like you don't celebrate it at all. The coworker probably thought that your hubby was against celebrating Christ's birthday rather than celebrating it differently. However, even if your husband had said he was aetheist, it's still pretty rude to have the guy throw satanisim out there as the only reason someone wouldn't celebrate Christmas.

In the long run, if this guy was a real friend, he wouldn't call him a satanist (hopefully he was just joking cause of his suprise:eek: what? no presents?) and if he's not a real friend, who give a flying @!$% what he thinks [​IMG]

And bless you for giving to the needy!

8. MamaRoo

MamaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
    Quote:I'm confused..

It sounds like you DO do Christmas, you just don't buy it...

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:I'm confused..

It sounds like you DO do Christmas, you just don't buy it...

x2!!

10. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Good point about how he said it. Perhaps he said it that way since they were talking about what they were getting people.

I get what the holiday is supposed to be about perhaps because my Grandfather was a preacher.

I respect that folks want to and can do the presents.

I just hope DH is being honest with me when he says he prefers the day with out all the shopping fuss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by