Some people should never have any animals !!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PaulScott, Jan 2, 2013.

1. PaulScott

PaulScott Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    NC
  2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    My gosh! Even if they've been having bad rains, the poor guy should have a coop with drainage! Even some gravel tossed on the ground! :/

3. PaulScott

Mar 22, 2009
    NC

I agree , my property has to worst drainage ive ever seen , because when the state came in and put in these roads they made it so all the water from 2 roads comes across our property ,the least little sprinkle leaves us with huge mud holes everywhere , but you can better beleave that anywhere i keep animal's has been taken care of , with proper drainage a layer of pea gravel in and dirt filled back over it .
    I spent 4 hours yesterday , shoveling up old saw dust and straw and puting down new and here where this guy lives , not far from me sawdust is FREE !!!

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    If they dumped a bag of shavings down every time, it would build up, start to compost, create more bugs in the run, and the chickens would keep it churned up and fluffy. I tried sand, just ended up stinking. That yuckiness happened in our run because the chickens started digging all the soil out from along the baseboards and throwing the dirt towards the middle. They soon found themselves on an island after a good rain. So I leveled everything back out, and started throwing the pine shavings down. Now it's about 9 inches deep, when I stir it and level it off, it's about even with the baseboard. No more flooding, mud, or stink. After the first 2 bags of shavings to get started, it only costs $5.99 a month in a 10x10 run. Though I haven't had to add any new shavings since about... September.

5. PaulScott

Mar 22, 2009
    NC
    See just a little care can make a Big difference in the lives of our chickens . the Local animal control seen this and said " there just chickens " Our county has the worst animal control laws ive ever seen

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    That's how it is though. Mud won't kill a chicken. Most of the laws say food, water, shelter, not much about anything else. If I put my dogs out in the yard, there must be water, food, and a dog house. Even though they have all that indoors, by law it must be outside too if they spend time outside. Silly. Don't they know how spoiled these dogs are? But I guess it keeps people from saying they provide it inside when they really don't. Or something. In my area you can actually be ticketed if your house dog is on a potty break outside without amenities.

7. PaulScott

Mar 22, 2009
    NC
    I wish it was like that here , i have a neighbor that only feeds there dog every 3 days and puts water in that food , and that's all the water it gets
    its tied on a 5 foot chain and Trees are its " shelter " and animal control want / cant do a thing

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I must be missing something. I saw 2 pictures of some chickens free ranging. Didn't see any mud. Can't imagine why anyone would dump shavings outside on the ground? The chickens in the pictures I saw in that link looked clean & healthy.

1 person likes this.
  9. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    [​IMG] They looked fine to me to. Although maybe not predator proof.

1 person likes this.
  10. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    That link took me to some perfectly content chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by