some people shouldnt be dog owners

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by silkielover5, Oct 28, 2011.

1. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    so petie a dog that has been coming to our house for the past 2 years, came today. i hate his owner! petie has on no collor! which is new and is super thin which isnt new. he isnt nuetered but is the best dog ever. if i could i would keep him but we already have 3 dogs. some nights he comes over and doesnt seem like he knows us he just barks growls and whins. this summer he was at our house when it was 107 degrees i thought he was going to have a heat stroke! i had him in a room with fans and relizing he was covered in ticks i gave him a bath with flea and tick killer shampoo, i tired calling his owner but found out they diconnected their phone. well its still disconnected and now no collor! i almost found him a new home but the person didnt feel right taking someone elses dog, i would consider it a rescue. not to mention when he did have his phone he expected us to baby sit his dog for once up to 6 hrs otherwise it was usally 3 hrs. i thought about calling animal control but they would put him down we have one of the highest high kill shelters around. there is another shelter that is all foster base that we foster for and have adopted 2 dogs from them. but they dont want to take anymore dogs cause they only have 4 foster familys and they take on dogs that other shelters would put down like my dog who needed emergency eye surery in both eyes, because of that they owe alot of money.

2. loveacatahoula

loveacatahoula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Hephzibah, GA
    Ohhh silkie, how I agree with you. I have 9 dogs...four chihuahuas, a jack russel, an ancient shepard mix, a lab, a catahoula mix, and our latest rescue which is probably a great dane mix, 5 cats, 2 cockatiels, 2 finches, 2 rabbits, a tank of fish and 3 hens and 1 rooster (Where is my partridge in a pear tree). It is all I can do not to rescue more. Most of ours are rescues, but we are able to afford to keep them up to date on their shots, spayed or neutered, and feed them. It breaks my heart to see what people do with animals these days. Our catahoula I rescued off a busy highway at about 8 weeks old. He was shivering like crazy in the rain just inches from the expressway. Our latest was rescued from the woods while a friend was out scouting for deer. He was infested with fleas and ticks and half starved. He is a blue merle in color and looks great danish (since he has grown taller then the lab in less the three months.) Since you know who the owner is maybe you can confront them about the dog and offer to foster him for them till you can find him a home. As a last resort, call animal control and tell them the situation. I wish I could be more help.[​IMG]

3. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Would the person who considered giving the poor dog a new home be more comfortable with the situation if they were to buy the dog from the current owner? We have done this in the past when confronted with similar situations - offer the owner a few bucks for the animal - in most cases they are more than willing to sell it. Good luck with Petie and kudos to you and loveacatahoula for doing rescue work! [​IMG]

4. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    Quote:all of our animals are rescues too. our huskey was abused serverly beaten by a man his wife was in a wheel chair and while he was at work she called animal control. katie had 3 broken ribs
    she was only 4 months old, reese our cocker spaniel was found as a stray in mn with cherry eye in both eyes paws and claws rescue was going to put him down cause surgery was so expensive but jan lady who runs cocker spaniel rescue took him and got surgery done he was 5 months. we fostered him, he used to be serverly agersive and a huge runner but i trained him and now i show him in 4h obedince, jan and other foster families were amazed about reese so now they give me all the abused and puppy mill dogs that no one else can connect to like wilson from ohio puppy mill hide in closet all day wouldnt let anyone near him they had him for 3 months until i got him. 6 hrs he was fallowing me around house, he found a home with 2 young kids [​IMG] my rabbit was found on side of a high way in middle of december in a wire cage. rooster we found in the middle of road drinking from a puddle missing 3 toes.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    no collar on your proberty= stray . means take it to the vet/shelter for scanning, tell the shelter you found a dog(send them a pic and description) and say you will keep the dog unless the owner claims it.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Yep...got the best dog ever born to this world for the price of a carton of cigs.

If they won't sell him~ I'd just adopt Petey and buy him a collar, keep him at your house and see if they even notice he is gone. Could be that they will be relieved if they can't even afford their phone bill. I'd feed him, give him care and keep him safe....if they come aknockin' and want him back, let him go. You'll likely get him back in your yard in a couple of days and you can do it all over again.

Compassion for another creature is never wasted time or money.

7. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    Quote:my dad loves petie but doesnt want yet another dog added to our 4 plus any fosters we have. when ever peties over we will give him a bath with tick killer shampoo. and we give him food and water, take him on walks, once he came in december right before we were going camping it was so cold we figured just to take him with us. we all love petie but our huskeys having alot of health problems right now and moneys tight [​IMG]

8. Kaelinstorm

Kaelinstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Lampasas
    I would never have qualms about adopting or adopting out a dog like that. I dont concider it theft of any sort. Im with you - its a rescue. Sometimes I wish people would have to have a license to own a pet... It bothers me when people get them and do absolutely nothing to actually take care of them! Heck I had a few of $3-5 chickens get sick and took them to the vet - Totally chicken vet bills is over $300 (about $100 each chicken)... so for someone to not spend $5 on a bottle of flea and tick shampoo while their poor animal gets eatten alive bothers me... and if you cant afford to take care of the pet then dont get it! Geez! Sorry I get really miffed about the way people treat their animals... I even have a hermit crab rescue pet LOL (Which a 40 gall. tank, controlled temp, UVB and two friends later is doing spoiledly well) LOL

9. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    Quote:we thought of that too, and just tell him he hasnt been around and mybe say he could have been hit by a car cause theres a huge high way down the road. my friend wont take him cause she doesnt want owner to come looking for him but i doupt he even would bother

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I'm concerned for this dog too. There's nothing stopping you from taking Petie to the local animal shelter, where he'll get a better home. It sounds like his owner wouldn't be bothered much if he just randomly disappeared. You probably won't even get a call from him asking where Petie is.

Please take him to the shelter, it breaks my heart that he has to keep enduring this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by