Some people ...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GrannySue, Jun 22, 2010.

1. GrannySue

GrannySue Chillin' With My Peeps

I recently had a family friend staying here for a few nights. Well-behaved, pleasant company to a point but;
    He showed absolutely no interest in my ducks (or chickens, for that matter)!
    I promise I'm not the type who goes on and on about my birds. Well, not to people who don't want to hear everything about them, but I did want to tell him the difference between runners and others, and show him the broody hen sitting on duck eggs, stuff like that.
    He looked towards the pen, relatively politely, and that was that!
    I told him I gave my duck eggs to a restaurant downtown, except for those I kept for myself. He enjoys fresh chicken eggs so I suggested he try duck eggs. Not a chance, said he, He'd rather stick with "real ones".
    Deep down inside I guess I'm an evil person because I made scrambled eggs the following day and I used 1/2 + 1/2. He obviously enjoyed them, gobbled them up as if there was no tomorrow. Ha ha to him!

(Actually, I think I could have used pure duck egg and he wouldn't have noticed. He slathers eggs with ketchup! I remember how insulted I was the first time he did that, when I wanted to show him how different fresh eggs were from store bought ones.)

But seriously, is there anyone here who could walk past a poultry pen and not spend lots of time watching them?
    Anyone?

2. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    I know how you feel! I have often gotten the glassy eyed stare from people who check out when start talikg poultry! I just cant believe anyone ISNT interested in my flock. It seems unnatural. I've learned to cut it short and just pity them for what they are missing out on.

I myself jealously guard every free moment I have that I can spend out in the yard with my flock, they are wonderful!

3. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i know how you feel too. i kept inviting "friends" over to come see my ducklings. of course they waited a few weeks to blow me off... and they were kinda big so they weren't cute and cuddly but still cute.. anyway.. one of the girls was supposed to come and then made up some lie about why she couldn't come.. and the one who did come must have accidently sent me a text that said please hurry, i am bored by myself and it's stinky. uhh sorry i spend hours a day cleaning.. my room does NOT stink and if it did, my mom wouldn't let me have them inside. she's a clean freak.

anyway.. i never tried to get back in contact with them. if you don't like my duckies, fine tell me! i was just trying to be nice and let them have a new experience.. but talk about me behind my back and well.. bye don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you! that's one thing i can NOT stand.

i agree suzettex5. i can't believe someone people aren't interesting, but that's on them. LOL they are the dummies for not caring about these wonderful little things. some of which seem to have more personality than most people i know!! [​IMG]

4. JosieR

JosieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Orange County, NY
    My mother and I once got into the biggest fight because she came to visit and I only had low fat peanut butter and whole wheat bread. [​IMG]

Off she went in a huff to the store to get "real peanut butter and real bread"

As I've gotten older I've realized some people just think they know everything and/or are smarter than everyone. I limit my contact with these people. I spend a lot of time alone LOL

We're just not used to eating duck eggs so mentally it's difficult to get past. I'm going to use them for baking first, sort of ease myself into it. Although I have this fear of opening the duck egg and seeing something so totally different from a chicken egg!! Crazy, I know and I laugh at myself. Probably just a fear of trying new things regarding the eggs?

Funny doing the 1/2 and 1/2. I snuck Salmon for dinner once when my mother was here so I totally get the little chuckle you must have gotten from it. [​IMG]

5. Hi! I wouldn't let it bother me. My husband is that way about all my birds.
    I brought him out to see the 11 new Muscovy ducklings and all he said was "And why do you need more ducks?"...
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I dont think I could have kept my mouth shut! I probably would have made him hold a duckling or one of my new geese and then see if he didnt have an interest! lol, one of my friend's isnt a big animal person so i told him to close his eyes and open his hands. I plopped a fat little duckling in his hands and he wouldnt shut up after that!

7. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I've gotten that glassy eyed stare in their voice on the phone. I pay it no never mind, I talk about my chickens, or quail or ducks. They talk about other things and the conversation goes on. Eventually if they want to see me, they have learned the best time is to stop by when I have a hatching to see the babies. Otherwise I'm to busy taking care of them to visit.

Obviously I enjoy the company of my flock and I keep busy with the garden, putting things up and baking, etc. I don't have time for and I'm just not interested in the gossip of the day.

Ya, Goat_walker, I've done that.

8. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I am with you guys, I just can't understand how someone will be quite rude or not even pretend to be the slightest bit interested in something, when they are visiting me or staying over. Sorry, but I don't have to have you wasting my space or my time, so um...G'bye.

I hate when people go on and on about what they find interesting and you know I play along and pretend i'm interested and into the conversation and I do pay attention to them...but I start in about my animals, any of them and they blantantly appear/sound uninterested, and get that "doi ducks whats dem? yeah yeah" and the glassy thousand yard stare. X_x sorry folks but my kid and my animals are my world, and they are what I talk about especially since I'm a home body.

GoatWalker, I had a friend who put up with my ramblings on ducks and chickens and what not, he showed some interested, he kinda just found my obcession funny...Till the other night I sent him pictures of my baby muscovies and my new runners, and he's all into the ducks now, he's swearing he's going to research all about runners and get him some now because they seem to be the most awesome looking things he's ever seen and me telling him how they act has him so intrigued. [​IMG]

9. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I don't understand people that aren't crazy about animals.... most of my friends think my ducks are pretty neat... but some of them roll their eyes when I talk about my ducks... they think I'm nuts for having ducks in town. It is their loss... animals are so cool - especially ducks... and runner ducks are fantastic.

10. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Personally, I find it more than a little sad that so many people are wrapped up day to day in the latest happenings of/to Kate what's her face the reality tv mother, or Tom Cruise or Miley Cyrus or whoever the celeb du jour is, but they have very little knowledge of or connection to the where their food comes from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by