Some photos of our chickens and our coop, we are new :)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mwat, Aug 16, 2013.

1. mwat

mwat Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    Hi everyone,

My husband and I have always wanted hens so when we moved into our first 'owned' house this year we started building a coop! We are in a 2 bedroom unit with a small backyard so we can't have too many chooks, or large breeds, so we have started with two Bantams (and will be looking for a few more).

We built our coop with hard rubbish (We are from australia, not sure if everywhere calls it that), so we only had to buy the screws, and it was our first building attempt ever. Both of us had fun learning construction 101!

Here are some photos of our girls, please tell us if we don't have Bantams...we are so new to this! :)

[​IMG]

Lots of the wood was bowed, so it's quite wonky!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me attempting to put a gate together :p Gosh we made a mess!

[​IMG]

We did it without injury! Woo Hoo, drinks time :p

[​IMG]

Before we introduced the chooks we put straw on the ground and installed a perch

[​IMG]

Pics of the ladies next...

2. mwat

mwat Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    Here are our hens Edith and Sybil, just letting us know that the veggie garden will need to be protected before we put our delicious greens in it. They love to come out every morning and scratch around :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    You did a good job with the trash to treasure coop. They look like adorable, fluffy bantams to me. I think in the U.S. they would be considered Cochin bantams.

4. mwat

mwat Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    Oh great, thank you! The man we bought them from said Pekin so that's interesting. Do you know what the official colours are?

5. farmergal27

farmergal27 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    They look like Buff and white are their colors. Not positive but i am pretty sure a Pekin and Cochin are the same breed but called different things in different countries

6. mwat

mwat Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    Oh I see! I thought it would have been universal. Clearly not. Thanks for that, I will be able to research other colours now so we can add to the flock.

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

First let me say, you both did a fabulous job!! Love the coop!! Your two girls are adorable! I love bantams, and their little size! I love all chickens! Welcome to BYC, so glad you joined us! Enjoy them!

8. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I think in the UK they call them Pekin, too. I bet the breed comes in many different colors like the Cochin does in the US.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by