Some Pics of My chicks, From March 28th and now April 10th

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by christina_ski, Apr 10, 2009.

1. christina_ski

christina_ski Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Monett, MO
    Here are some of my 17 chicks (started with 17, and haven't lost one thank goodness), the march pics where taken on the 28th just a few days after I got them, and the other pics just today. They are so much fun to watch them mature, they change everyday. And they are so funny to watch, they somehow managed to find a small piece of shinny plastic and the whole lot of them where playing keep away.

Heres when I first got them:
    [​IMG]
    Thats the little white roo upfront

Here are the first 2, White Leghorns. One roo and one hen. They started out the same size when I got them except she was rounder. And since he has gotten a larger comb and is very skittish, and she is got rounder and larger then him, feathered faster then he did, and is as sweet as can be and will jump out of her pen onto my lap then onto my shoulder. I wasn't going to keep her but she suckered me into it lol. He is going for sure tho.

Then (Hes in front in both):
    [​IMG]
    Now:
    [​IMG]

Here is my friends SLW Roo CB. He is a keeper! And he I feel is for sure a rooster. He is very protective over the others and is the first to investigate anything. He will even peck the cats that get too close to his pen. He is large, but has not nearly as many feathers as some of the othes which makes me think roo also. He also has larger legs, and his comb has always been large.

Then(He is the bigger one):
    [​IMG]
    Now:
    [​IMG]

Here is my EE, who I am have no clue on. Sometimes I think Roo, Sometimes Hen. My hope is for a hen, cause if its a roo its got to go. She is somewhat friendly. And Is very large and covered in feathers.

Then:
    [​IMG]
    Now:
    [​IMG]

Here are some shots of my red Chickens then and now also. When I First got them I thought they were RIR's, but then was told they might be Buff Orphingtons. Not sure, but they sure are a friendly bunch. Hopefully I will have some hens in there, the larger ones have alot of feathers (They range in shades from light to dark). But it seems like they all have largers legs and larger combs. So not sure. I know some of the smaller ones argue alot. here a few of them:

Then:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It sucks to know I will have to get rid of alot of them. I can only keep the one roo (MAYBE 2) and a few hens. I don't think I can bring myself to eat them, so will have to find the rest new homes else where. Any ideas as to sex on these little guys? No big rush I can wait till they start crowing lol.

2. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    [​IMG] It looks like they are starting to hit their "ugly" phase.

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    They grow up fast, don't they? They sure are cute!

4. tamlynn

tamlynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Torrance, CA
    They do grow up fast! Cute pics.

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] So many beauties! I'm going to be in the same boat. I know that I'll get more roos than i need and probably I'll have to rehome them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by