Some Pics of my new Young Red Goldens

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by cielo, Aug 15, 2011.

1. cielo

cielo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Mattawa, Washington
    I have a young pair of Red Goldens, they are around 3 1/2 months I think. These are my first pheasants. I have them on straw right now but I'm planning to put in sand soon. They seem very serious. I've kept chickens and ducks on and off for several years and they are very boisterous when compared to my pheasants. Pheasants are interesting birds, I'm looking forward to spending more time with them and learning more about all the varieties.
    [​IMG]
    Snack time. I'm learning what fruits and veggies they like. The female is more excited about the snacks than the male usually.
    [​IMG]
    I named this one Rojo. Not the most creative name but it will suit him quite well in the future!
    [​IMG]
    So serious. I imagine they are still getting used to me. They seem pretty comfortable, the female more so, she'll eat from my hand. I can tell they are still wary though.

2. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    looks like youve got a pair good job.[​IMG]

3. cielo

Jul 13, 2011
    Mattawa, Washington
    Thanks! I like them a lot. It'll be wild when they grow up more, I like the look of them now though. Strange to think the male is going to look so different.

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I really like my little red golden too. She is about the same age. I just need to get her a male. She paces the fence a lot and just observes. She was brooder raised until recently with a silkie chick inside. I think she is just in awe of the outdoors, plus she is just now learning she is NOT a chicken [​IMG]

5. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Wow! They look great!! Where did you buy them from?

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    Just curious how large your pen is? I moved my from a temporary holding pen to a much larger pen and I can't believe the change in their disposition. We also put some "hiding" areas in there.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  7. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    here's my young fella he'll be 2 in the spring, i got him in march as a yearling, look at the difference a few months has done
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. greymane

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    Beautiful bird, abluechipstock!

9. cielo

Jul 13, 2011
    Mattawa, Washington
    Hi there. Just saw the new messages.

I got the birds from a breeder in Vancouver WA. Nice guy, really loves his birds. They cost me $15 each. He had quite a lot, trying to downsize his flock. I'm happy he was knowledgeable and able to sex them for me. When I got them they were just a couple months old. They looked identical to my eye.

The pen is... 12x6 I believe and about 7' high. Not as large as I'd like but works fine for them now while they are young. I've heard 100 sq ft is the minimum for a pair. Mine is at 72. Like I said though, they are young and small, not breeding, they seem happy as clams right now. I'll be building a much larger aviary in the Spring. They have branches to perch on I've mounted at various levels, a pallet angled against the fence they perch on at night, a 4x4x2 apple crate on its side to which I've added perches and a upper shade flap to that keeps their food out of the elements and they quite fancy for day time resting and relaxing, I have a big tray of sand they peck and dust bathe in... I'll take some pictures, I think it turned out quite nice and they seem to think so too. Plenty for them to do, multiple levels to engage them. I spend rather a lot of time with my birds so they are pretty tame, they come towards me and will eat from my hands, they don't hide from me but I know they must like to feel secure and I think their run meets that need without making them feel trapped or too confined. I have plans to electrify it by winter. Don't want to tempt the local predators when food starts becoming scarcer. I'll post some pics later, I've been wanting to take some. They both are coloring and getting some pretty feathers, their crests and chests and tails... Such great weird birds!
    -Cielo

10. greymane

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    Sounds great. I am building new pens either this week or next. My two Lady Amherst males are just starting to develop their capes. It is great to watch them color out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by