Some pics of show birds (BY REQUEST)

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by GracieNut, Jul 6, 2010.

1. GracieNut

GracieNut Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Spotsylvania
    Here are some pics of my exhibition quality Lovebirds by the request of another BYC member (sorry, can't remember the name off hand) The ribbons on the wall are from the MSAS show in Denver 2009.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Oh wow!!!!

(It was me! [​IMG] )

Can you tell me what they look for? Is it just like chickens in that conformation comes first? What are the different colors? Can you show a "bad" bird and a "good" bird so I can see the differences?

Is there a Standard of Perfection with lovebirds or is it just preferences?

3. GracieNut

GracieNut Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Spotsylvania
    There are too many colors to list. :) In the PF division there are I think 8 sections, each with about 10-15 classes, so it would take me forever to list them all. Then you have the rares and eyerings (Fischers, masked, black cheeked). I don't have any "bad birds" to show, but basically judges want a large bird, nice round head, no evidence of a neck line, straight back, perches nicely (it goes on and on). Deportment is a big deal (how they behave in the show box, are they perched straight up, not slouching, flight feathers can't be crossing, and they can't be "freaking out") The pic I have with all the birds in show boxes are very young birds being show box trained. If you have a bird sitting on the floor of the nest box and won't get up on the perch, then judges tend to let them go because you can't judge what you can't see. :) Size is really important too, but in proportion.

Then certain colors get judged differently, like the pied I have in the first picture. He's a perfect pied. They should be completely symmetrical on both sides, and judges tend to prefer clear flight feathers (which this one has).

There is way too much that goes into it than I can put here, but if you go to Africanlovebirdsociety.com the standard is on there and other info, all the colors, classes.

4. roosterdog

roosterdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Throckmorton
    Love the Lovebirds. I went to a show in NM once and had some much fun watching the birds and the Judges.

One bird would sit so petty for the Judge, then when the Judge turned away, the bird would dance up and down and spin around.

The crowd would laugh and the Judge caught onto what was going on....when the judge backed up ...the bird would be back in show position.

I can't remember the type of bird. It was a tiny parott smaller than the Lovebird?

5. roosterdog

roosterdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Throckmorton
    Love the Lovebirds. I went to a show in NM once and had some much fun watching the birds and the Judges.

One bird would sit so petty for the Judge, then when the Judge turned away, the bird would dance up and down and spin around.

The crowd would laugh and the Judge caught onto what was going on....when the judge backed up ...the bird would be back in show position.

I can't remember the type of bird. It was a tiny parott smaller than the Lovebird? A Parrolett? maybe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by